free website stats program 2001 FXSTBI cam tensioner shoes failure?? | Harley Davidson Forums

2001 FXSTBI cam tensioner shoes failure??

I bought this bike last summer and was told yesterday that there was a problem on certain models of the 1450cc engines. This is one of the years. That with no warning, these shoes could go causing great engine damage. Called a bike shop and he confirmed what I had heard. Now,, I know very little about Harleys yet but sure am nervous about this issue. Harley shop told me not to worry just yet as there showed only 5400 miles on the bike. Told me to bring it in for inspection at around 10K. Got to thinking...bought this used last summer...8 years old and "only" 4600 on it. Seems awful low and maybe odometer was rolled back?? Also heard that Harley did a recall on the problem. Any way I can punch in my VIN on the computer to check??
Thanks, Doug

No recall for cam tensioners. Plenty of information on here about upgrades for the tensioners. I would agree with the advice from the shop,not to worry until 10K. If you have to know, check them or pay to have them checked. It is not that big of a deal to check them.

There are tons of Harleys with that year and mileage. I doubt it was rolled back. Not rare at all.

Get them checked or do it yourself for peace of mind. 14,000 on my fxst and I wasn't satisfied till I checked. their are excellent tutorials on how to do it and onlt costs a 6 buck gasket.

I bought this bike last summer and was told yesterday that there was a problem on certain models of the 1450cc engines. This is one of the years. That with no warning, these shoes could go causing great engine damage.
Thanks, Doug

DOUG,

THE BEAUTY OF TODAY:
You can BUY a kit and put it in OR pay a shop to do the KIT improvements that MAKE your bike similar to THE MUCH IMPROVED BIKES OF TODAY...
READ about the IMPROVEMENTS in the PAST THREADS/POST...

Take a little time (u be a new-be) learn how the forum works and TONS of reading is available...

I usually charge HEAD ON with answering these problems but it is like a YO-YO and a day from now another NEW person will happen on this site and ask the SAME OLD,,, same old... I for one ANSWERED this question A HUNDRED times or so...IM not ALWAYS RIGHT with the answers but CLOSE..

IF YOUR QUESTION IS "WHAT CAN I DO or WHAT SHOULD I DO?????

SPEND a little time HERE and LOOK under a person's POST....CLICK onto a NAME like; BUBBIE, Chopper, KEMO, TQuentin1, OR other KNOWLEDGEABLE , people here on this site that ANSWER questions DAILY,,, TOO MANY people to list........ RE-READ ALL THEIR POST, YOU WILL FIND ON THIS SUBJECT and related questions that have been replied to in the past........ SELF HELP section has tons of answers...
all about the INS and OUTS on the CAM SHOE PROBLEM. NEW CAM KIT, REPLACING SHOES......

JUST tired out today. signed....BUBBIE

Doug,

Welcome to the Forum. Lots of great info here in the self-help pages, and in the heads of your fellow members.

Bubbie's right. This question/concern gets raised here regularly, and legitimately so. There are lots of threads in the self-help section that can give you some valuable information to help you decide on your course of action and give you peace of mind. You might start here:

Harley Davidson Engine Related Issues - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Please pardon me boys (and girls) if I appear disrespectful at not answering your helpful tips in a timely manner. Here's the thing....I'm a tad nuts with something called delayed stress and bi-polar disorder which gets my brain going 90 per. I make a post and jump to something else forgetting to come back which is what I've done here. With what you guys are telling me, I'm cancelling that appt as I pride myself in DOING whenever I feel I can so this appears straightforward at least for the inspection. With your help and self help threads, I can do it myself and save the $100 inspection fee. If A guy ain't in to wrenchin'...don't buy a scoot! THANKS! Doug

Glad you're going to tackle the inspection yourself. I did the update last year and can vouch for the excellent advice and tips on this forum. TQ took the time to document his upgrade and I referred to it many times when doing mine. Good luck....

Back