free website stats program 2000 Ultra Classic over heating | Harley Davidson Forums

2000 Ultra Classic over heating

I have not owned a Harley for several years now. Just bought a 2000 Ultra Classic. It seems to be running very hot and it has a oil cooler on it. Where would you suggest i start looking for the problem? It has not shut down or lost power, but in 70% temps today she sure seemed really hot. Thanks for your suggestions.

Your bike being one of the early Twin cams that runs hotter than the previous year evo's do. I would suggest putting some numbers on the temp before getting worried about how hot it is. Oil temps usually range between 200-250 on most and if you are running hotter than that, there's usually a reason. You can reduce the temps a bit with a good synthetic oil.

Thanks Glider,
Will be changing oil. Not know anything about coolers, i was wondering if the tstats every go bad and if this would cause a heating problem? Thanks Bear

the tsats can go bad but all it does is either

1 sticks open so it always runs oil though cooler

or

2 sticks closed and acts like it doesnt have a cooler .. the cooler not opening wont cause any problems its no different than if it doesnt have the cooler.. but if its getting that hot with out the cooler there is a problem anyways

Thanks Glider,
Will be changing oil. Not know anything about coolers, i was wondering if the tstats every go bad and if this would cause a heating problem? Thanks Bear

Bubba,

I have a ten row low mount Jagg with thermostat adapter on my '03 UC. You can check the operation of the oil cooler and thermostat by feeling the "warmth" of the cooler with your hand after you have started the engine, and it is getting warm. About 3 min. of riding, or 5 min. in the driveway idling. Once the engine is good and hot, check the oil cooler again to see if it is significantly warmer. If so, your cooler is probalby working as it is supposed to. The thermostat on my set up is supposed to open around 180 degF.

If you have the time, inclination and skill, you might want to consider replacing the air temp gauge (if you have one) on the dash with an oil temp gauge. There is some good info on this in the self help area of this site (see above). The oil temp gauge and the oil pressure gauge allow you to keep a pretty good eye on the oil. As Glider said above, switch to a premium quality synthetic motor oil in the engine (NOT SYN3).

TQ

Thanks Richard,
Thats about what everybody is telling me..The heat is just unreal when the temp outside now is only in the 70's..Can't even imagine what its going to feel like in the summer.

Thanks Richard,
Thats about what everybody is telling me..The heat is just unreal when the temp outside now is only in the 70's..Can't even imagine what its going to feel like in the summer.

I noticed in the Touring accessories section of the HD catalog that there is a lot of "air deflectors", which I suspect is used to move the heated air away from the rider or move cool air into the hot zone behind the lowers and around the riders legs...maybe Glider can shed some light on what works and what doesn't...:dknow (especially with his "modest" accessory equipped ride)...er "glide." ..."road king" :D

Back