free website stats program 2000 sportster 883 help? | Harley Davidson Forums

2000 sportster 883 help?

ron1978

i bought this bike about 5 months ago, it has 17,000 on it runs great and shifts great, its a 883 . I have noticed for the last couple of times i have rode it, when its cool out side i can crank it run it for about 45 seconds put it in gear and when i let out on the clutch it goes and about 3 seconds later it feels like the clutch slips or hangs, kinda hard to explain but , here it goes,
take off in 1st, before hitting 2nd gear the motor turns up slightly higher than i'm going for a second and you feel like the bike catchs up ( LIKE A QUICK SMALL REV UP) , ALL THE OTHER GEARS DON'T DO IT , and when the motors hot it does not do it.
all fluids have been changed, bike set up for 4 years on and off before i got it,
i'm 3rd owner, motor and tranny shift perfect, not metal in primary oil, so no sign of gear wear, please help if you can

i have never did anything to it , it has 17,000 on it, olnly does it on take off, and does't do it all the time either, kinda when the motor cool , or cold, and it did set up a while,

well i adjusted it last night, this morning went out for a little stroll, 1st gear still doing it, but i have noticed when engine is running about 150 f
the slipping does not happend at all , i must have tried 10 times to make it slip but it would not, so
i think it is the clutch disk sticking or slippin,
i have contacted barnett, they said a clutch kit would be $161.50

ebay has the barnett fiber disks,and metal disks, and springs for around $125.00
is this all i need?

You will need the fiber disk for sure. The metal disk i'm sure are fine but check them for grooves. Spring are fine.

Could be caused by wrong oil in the transmission or incorrect oil level
as its the easiest and cheapest thing to try then id start by replacing the oil with an oil formulated for the sportster transmission and get the level correct
it may take a wee while for the new oil to get to get into place on all the clutch plates so slippage may occur for a while after the oil is of correct spec and level
it would be best to strip the clutch and clean all the plates (but who has time to do that when they want to ride)

Brian

Last edited:
Back