free website stats program 2000 Softail Duece, Speedometer, Road Speed Sensor? | Harley Davidson Forums

2000 Softail Duece, Speedometer, Road Speed Sensor?

lovechicas

Hey guys , thanks for checking my thread. I hope someone can help me out , recently I went on a bikers run for breast cancer here in jersey sponsered by hells kitchen bar in Newark NJ , I noticed that my speedometer was not regestering anything and was staying on Zero . I talked to some people and looked for some info on the internet and everything seems to point to the road speed sensor , I took out and cleaned it up , there was not alot of metal debris on it , well maybe just a little bit of grit. I then pulled up the seat and checked all the fuses and they were all good . Now Im thinking the next step is to change the speed sensor? but I am wondering , that speed sensor ,does that detach somehow from the wire? or do you have to chase that wire through the frame to somewhere else to dissconnect it ? maybe a clip? can anyone fill me in where it (that wire )goes? where the clip is? I have seen some pictures but they dont show that part . Im thinking of going to the dealer to see if they have the part and then Ill know but maybe someone can walk me through it . does that wire seperate from the sensor or is it all one piece? I look forward to being apart of this community and appreciate any help I might be able to get , thanks again ,

The VSS supplies the signal to the ECM and that's where the wires head. Some have cut and splices but best bet is to follow the wires up past the battery and replace it as a unit with the wires attached being they don't separate from the unit.

so are you saying that the speed sensor comes as one piece? the one end of the wire is permanently attached at the base of the sensor .and at the other end the wire has a clip ? so you just clip out the old one and clip in the replacement with the new one? is it relatively an easy thing to do? any complications?

Piece of cake, you will see when you follow the wire up.:s
Just picked up the sensor from Essex HD in NJ 30% off in stock purchases until Saturday sale ,$38.29 with tax, I figure its worth the shot .The guy says that the clip goes somewhere around the battery? So I guess with all electric, first disconnect the battery? remove it and it should be around there somewhere? where the clip connects? I also heard that that route the wire takes could also maybe be the problem ? the heat from the transmission might be shorting it out? think I should use some sort of extra wire cover to protect it better?

Back