free website stats program 2000 Roadster 1200cc | Harley Davidson Forums

2000 Roadster 1200cc

BikeSAG

I'm jumping in from the Softail group. Being a Heritage owner I am lacking info on Sporsters. My #4 son, all the way from serving in Afghanistan :34:(kids are so connected these days) found a year 2000 Roadster 1200 cc with 9300 miles on it for sale in our area and was asking me if they were good bikes.

I know it was the first year for the sealed wheel bearings and also the 4 caliper brakes. Not sure of which engine, assume it is carburated. Do any of you have any experience or comments to look for?

Thanks

Mileage, service records, is this the year without the trap door on the tranny? All questions I would ask JMO

Trap door on tranny bad? What exactly is this trap door?
NO, Trapdoor good, that makes the transmission serviceable without having to split the cases, and a lot more affordable to u in the long run

It is a solid mount for that year so it vibrates a wee bit i personally dont like the rubber mounted engine so to me vibes are good

Brian

Still has the trap door to access the tranny. Eliminated in 2004.

I enjoy my 2001 Custom 1200.

Some of the things that I encountered with my bike having such low mileage.

Top rocker gaskets needed replacing. The bike didn't see much use so, they never got replaced under warranty.

Replaced ignition module. (Thought it was a jetting or carb issue but, swapped the carb with no change. Update the ignition with stock carb, all good)

Replaced front and rear brake pads. Rotors and calipers still good.

Rear wheel finish shows some pitting.

Replace head light bell housing. Mounting bracket failed.

Replaced both front and rear tires. Rear was spent. Front looked OK but, it was original tire so, having fresh rubber was important to me.

Mine has the SE slips ons and air cleaner so, it sounds great and pulls well. It's a good bike but, does lack a little bit of range with the 3.3 gallon tank. It's not a great touring bike but, a blast on two lane roads.

Some folks report vibration discomfort through the wrists, feet and the factory seat isn't much to wright home about.

I got a Lepera Bare Bones solo and Drag Specialties seat. Both are great upgrades. I haven't experienced any vibration concerns but, the mirrors are pretty well useless with the shake but, they occassionally let you know what's happening behind you.

That's all I can think off.

Cheers.

Sean

"Roadster" moniker was probably meant as a cover for "standard" model...the "Custom" model is more costly, the *bling"...being the main factor going in. Personally I like the Roadster because it hails to the "minimalist" crowd...you know, the ones who wanted the base model so they could customize it to their tastes freely.

Some rider/owners CHOP them by removing all non-essentials, modifying the frame and running gear for higher torque/performance and lighter weight, perhaps extend the forks and perhaps add style with a bit of custom metal work or paint to bring it all together. Of course then there are the guys who modify the bike so it is essentially all custom, since the Sportster was the closest thing to a "blank slate".

I have owned a 1995 883 sport that I made into a 1200 when the wear on the engine was noticeable and LIKED the sport BOTH as an 883 and 1200.

I later bought a 2006 sport Roadster (self retirement gift).... Roadster is a hot rod style From HD... Usually has the higher compression(little) with Cams and head work and comes stock HOP-Up from factory..
I feel the 2000 to be a good choice(?$) but HE might want to ride a newer RUBBER mounted sporty to see IF he would rather have a newer improved sporty.. 2004 and up were rubber mounted and ALL were carbed Until 2007 then ALL sportys were FI..

I like my 06 Rubber mounted but IF young again , I would be happy with the 2000 model.. Aces and pains and IBOO Ha ha intended...

signed....BUBBIE

Did the 1200 in 2001 come standard with the alum/magnesium wheels? I thought that was on the 883 and the 1200 had spoke? Here is a pic of the bike.

Attachments

• 3n23m43p55T65W65X0aaaf29aaaa966b51db0.jpg
    3n23m43p55T65W65X0aaaf29aaaa966b51db0.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 9
Back