free website stats program 2000 FXDWG left rear blinker doesn't... | Harley Davidson Forums

2000 FXDWG left rear blinker doesn't...

2000 Wide Glide; Kuryakyn run-turn-brake module with load equalizer; LED bulbs (forgot the mfr, but it's the 24-led plug & play ones); bullet turn signals (aesthetics only, I know); HD upright tail/stop light (this is the one that goes around the medallion in the backrest, and is connected separately from the rest of the rear lights). All listed have been on the bike for at least 3 seasons with no issues.

Took the bike apart this winter for color, ended up running with only my upright tail/brake light for about 4 weeks because the stock taillight/license plate bracket is obsolete and the Drag Specialties/Biker's Choice one doesn't fit. Finally found a NOS bracket at a semi-local dealership. She's complete now, all parts where they should be and mostly functional.

The left rear blinker doesn't blink when in run, not for turn signal or 4-way; it comes on bright and stays that way. When in ACC, the signal functions properly for both 4-way and turn indication. The left front signal functions as advertised always, as do both right side signals. I've traced the wires, cleaned connections, swapped bulbs, and tried removing the module (which results in NO turn signals at all). I even changed the blinker fluid over to synthetic :s My next step is a new load equalizer; I guess I'm looking for validation here that that is the issue.

I'm questioning myself because it's only one of the 4 turn signals with any issue at all. I did a search of the forum (after a Google search led me here), went through 8 pages of old threads and couldn't find anything close enough to answer definitively. So, I registered to ask.

I'm going to feed the dog, and post some pictures in the new member forum while this stews.

Thanks in advance for excellent advice!

Well, it's not the load equalizer. We had 2 spares, from conversions that didn't need them. I tried every combination- none, 1, 2, 3, and combinations of 2 new, 1 old and 1 new (two times, to make sure I covered all my bases).

When the left turn signal switch is activated, all of the rear lights flicker.

What did I miss????

There is alot going on electrically with your issue. Load equalizer, module, after market bulbs etc. IT is going to be very hard to diagnose over the computer. I would be checking the grounds after new paint/powder. Make sure you use new star type washers under the grounds so they dig in good. With a VOM you should be able to systematically run this down from front to back. IF the other side works properly you will have something to compare your findings with..... Not much help, I know.

It just baffles me, because it's only ONE of the 4 turn signals that's giving me issues. And the fact that it works in accessory mode just makes it more confusing.

I can't even point to something and say "this is what I did last, electrically, that caused this problem", because everything that's been done has been working perfectly for at least 3 years. I eye-balled the wiring to the bulb, and there are no noticeable breaks/tears/cuts in the wire sheathing.

Hubby said "you have that turn signal wired backwards." Um, nope. I put it back together like the dang book said to. Reversing the wires (I tried - desperation, you know) results in no light at all on that side.

And we're leaving for our annual motorcycle trip this afternoon. Sigh...guess I'm using hand signals for a while longer :/

Just throwing this out there because I haven't a clue how all this is out together. Could you take the wires from a known working turn signal and wire it to the offending one and see if it works. If it does its the wiring to the lamp holder.....

That's probably the only thing I haven't tried. I don't have any spare lights hanging around to do that with, but might be able to just switch the right and left turn signals and see if that works...

back in a few with results. Thanks for the suggestion - never would have occurred to me if left on my own :)

Well, sugar muffins.

Switched plugs from left to right, same result. Pulled the board (the thing that everything plugs in to) from hubby's FXSTC and switched them, same result. Switched plugs from left to right on that board, same result. When plugging in the right signal to the left plug, and activating the left signal, all lights on rear flicker. When plugging the left signal into the right plug and activating the right signal, it functions as advertised. At this point, I'm almost positive it's the turn signal module. I really don't know what else it could be.

I promise to use all my fingers to indicate my intentions when using hand signals...most of the time!

Sounds like you narrowed your problem down by quite a bit. Keep us posted.

Electrical issues can be the most frustrating to chase down. Keep after it and you'll find the culprit. Thanks for keeping us posted. Ride safe.
WAP.gif

If it worked for 3 years prior to the tear down and now you're having issues I'd have to agree with sugar muffins...aka Bodeen, sounds like a ground or maybe a pinched wire.

The flickering of the lights when the left turn signal is turned on sounds like it's feeding the signal back to the other lights. It could be the module but it would be quite a coincidence that it just went out at the same time you powder coated

Back