free website stats program 2000 FXD Head Scratcher | Harley Davidson Forums

2000 FXD Head Scratcher

So finally bought my first Harley, a 2000 FXD with 53k on the clock. Test rode it for about 3/4-1mile. Ran great. Took it home, gassed it up, rode about 2-3 mile and it died. No slow cough, just dead. Lights and electrical were still on. Got it restarted, it made it about 100 yards and did it again. Got it started again with some effort, same.

Pushed it home, charged the battery, and got it fired and it would idle for a minute or so then die the same way. Now it won’t start at all. So far I’ve replaced:

coil, plug wires, plugs, drained and added new gas, replaced battery, replaced air cleaner, removed and cleaned carb and replaced jets.

Just tested spark tonight and no spark at either plug.

I’ve checked and cleaned speed and crank position sensor. It’s a first Gen digital tac with diagnostic mode, so ran it and codes were clear except d02.

I’ve checked the plug going into the coil, has three receptacles for the three pins on the coil. Turned on the ignition, and the center receptacle is reading 9 volts.

any help on this one would be appreciated. Didn’t buy the thing to stare at it, but about done with this one.

Welcome, Lance. Some of our experts will be checking in but in the meantime . . . . .

The D02 error is for the vehicle speed sensor (#74420-94c) so you might want to pull and clean it a second time, or even replace it. They do collect metal fragments from the transmission so if you haven't replaced the transmission fluid consider doing so. Also recheck the electrical plug from the sensor to be sure it is making contacts.

Also check the run/kill switch on the handlebar and that the key is not hanging up on the Accessory position. These are cheap and easy. Clear the error code so when you do get the bike to run you can check to see if the same error returns. If it does, replace the sensor.

Keep us posted on what you find and how you resolve the issue.

Will a faulty speed sensor prevent the bike from sending spark to the plugs?

Honest question, I come from the world of older jap bikes (my other two are a 72 CB750 and 78 CB750 F2) where all of that was managed by gears rather than electronics.

Good advice from SilverFoXD, no spark tells me a bad coil or dirty or bad crank position sensor. If it were me i'd go ahead and change the sensor. BTW, how are you checking for spark? How old is the battery?
Try doing a load test on the battery.

Battery is brand new, just bought it from the dealership.

Tested spark the old way, took the plug out of cylinder, put it back in the plug wire, held it against the engine and hit start. Tried it on an unpainted frame bolt as well.

Back