free website stats program 2000 883 sportster clutch adjustment help? | Harley Davidson Forums

2000 883 sportster clutch adjustment help?

ron1978

i've looked at all the videos and thought i was ready to adjust clutch, but when i opend the derby up i saw a different setup instead of the videos on here, now how do i adjust this setup?? any help will be appreciated
i'm experienceing slipping starts in cold weather

Maybe snap a picture if you want a reply. We can't answer your question if we don't know what type of clutch we are dealing with here.

i adjusted my 883 just like the guy in this video:
Harley Sportster Maintenance Video Part 2 - AOL Video

it still shifts smooth , easy to find neutral, but when motor is cold, take off in 1st gear it'll slip about 2 times , 2nd through 5 no slip, and when motor warms up pretty good bit no slip in 1st gear at all.
i have a stock clutch but its different built than the ones in the how-to's on here, i have a link abouve that would help tremndous if it were added to the how-to-s on sportsters.

do you think it's time for a new clutch?? 17,000 miles and i have no idea what it's been through. and is barnett a good choice?

I have the same exact problem, except I'm at 15000 miles. Oh, I also had the "Torx strip issue", Had to Dremel a slot in the head and turn with a screwdriver to get the bolts out. Thanks to Bob Dron harley in Oakland for putting them on so tight last time I had it in there... Did you have your clutch replaced? What was the outcome?

but when motor is cold, take off in 1st gear it'll slip about 2 times , 2nd through 5 no slip, and when motor warms up pretty good bit no slip in 1st gear at all.
i

Assuming the clutch pack is not shot: It sounds like the pressure screw behind Derby cover is too tight. How far did you back off on pressure screw after making light contact with the stack. Is it possible while tightening jam nut, pressure screw turned?
Did you perform this adjust with the bike stone cold?

Oh yes, watched that carefully. Did what it said to. Clutch still slips. Im betting I need a new one. I live in San Francisco, lotsa hills and urban daily driving = a lot of clutch time.

Back