free website stats program 2+ quarts missing in 37 miles! | Harley Davidson Forums

2+ quarts missing in 37 miles!

eleft36

Went out on this beautiful fall day, oil in tank to the full mark when I started.
On the way home a tickling vibration started on the Parkway about 65mph, 3miles from the house.

I checked the oil, nothing on the stick. I looked in the tank almost empty. Put in 2 quarts, that brought it up to the add mark.

No leaks no smoke runs well but noisy along with the vibration.

I removed the clutch cover, the primary is way over full. Running out with the bike level.

I will go to a different dealer than the one that had it for 3 days on my complaint of a noise sounding like a low pounding. The tech told me it was normal.
This, for sure, ain't normal.

Al

Sounds like the engine main seal went belly up and the engine oil migrated to the primary.

I agree with Glider. If that is what it is, that really sux.

Did the Dealership do anything to the bike that might have disturbed the seal? Otherwise, whatever that noise was must be related to this problem. Any other history on the bike that might shed light on the seal problem/noise?

TQ

I agree with Glider. If that is what it is, that really sux.

Did the Dealership do anything to the bike that might have disturbed the seal? Otherwise, whatever that noise was must be related to this problem. Any other history on the bike that might shed light on the seal problem/noise?

TQ

The H-D Dealer picked it up this am.
I called at 4:30 "haven't started on it yet, I will call when we find out what it is". said the service tech.

This bike came with Priority Service Plan from this dealer (3 year term). This dealer is 23 miles away.

The odometer has 2230 miles, I bought this in June with 1800 miles, the noise started faintly last month and got progressively louder . No stage changes.

Only had the recall: M-1186A on 9/17/08 @ 1918 miles.
I'll post when I know what happened.

Al

which dealer are you going to i am orig. from CT i have purchased my bikes from stamford harley and have had work done at danbury harley. a friend of mine used to work at stamford harley but is now at Danbury harley you are in between both but i know that there is Bridgeport harley which i have heard of bad complaints from other friends that have gone there for repairs. might want to try another dealer. you can bring to anyone you want regardless of where you bought it

Hey Mike,
It's up at Danbury, They picked it up yesterday.

Bpt had it for the noise complaint and said it is normal.
Bpt is about 4 miles away that's why I went there.
The bike came from the Danbury dealer ship.

This problem sounds, to me, crank related.
I haven't heard anything from them yet, I'll post when I do.

Al

which dealer are you going to i am orig. from CT i have purchased my bikes from stamford harley and have had work done at danbury harley. a friend of mine used to work at stamford harley but is now at Danbury harley you are in between both but i know that there is Bridgeport harley which i have heard of bad complaints from other friends that have gone there for repairs. might want to try another dealer. you can bring to anyone you want regardless of where you bought it

Mike
I have done business with Stamford and they aren't the best place to deal with for a number of reasons. When Tony was there (RIP) it was a better place but now, I wouldn't even waste my time again after the last visit. Tony's son (Malone) even left there too.
Over priced and they think everyone is stupid but them, especially in sales but service is just as bad too.
If you check into the owners of Stamford and I believe it is Bridgeport, you'll find one and the same there.:s

Hmm,
I just called Danbury Harley, "I see it's on the lift, call me tomorrow to find out what the problem is" was the reply to my questioning what they found caused the oil migration?

Al

I'm with you Al. I'm also betting it's crank related. With the oil migration and the vibration, I would be checking the runout on the crank 1st thing.

Back