free website stats program 2 Bolts on Rear Fender Touching Seat | Harley Davidson Forums

2 Bolts on Rear Fender Touching Seat

lhgdale

Hello, I just put a Lepera Silhouette seat on my 15 street glide special and noticed it is hitting these two bolts on the rear fender. I'm guessing they are for a solo seat? Should I remove these or just leave them alone and let the seat rest on them?

Those are for the rider backrest bracket. You could remove the bolts, but the threaded part is called a "wellnut" and might vibrate out from the underside. If they are interfering with the seat, find bolts with a lower profile head.

You say "hitting" but I'm not sure exactly what that means. If the seat touches these bolts but installs properly and doesn't move around any, I wouldn't worry about it. If the bolts are rubbing the seat enough to cause damage to the seat or affect its installation or function, then I'd call Lepera - there's always the possibility you were sent the wrong seat. Or perhaps the 2015 Harley's are so new that Lepera isn't even aware of this issue yet.

I would be inclined to remove bolts and go to Lowes to hardware department where the nuts and bolts are and look at the plastic plugs and install in bolt holes. My concern would be that the bolts are going to stress seat pan and cause a possible crack or poor fitment that will rub through paint on rear fender....

Or something else to consider, check out the rubber grommet bins at a good parts or hardware store. Find 1 that fits tight over the head of the bolt, problem solved.

They are for the Riders Back Rest, however it is a stud plate,1 piece. Both studs are on a plate under the fender. It may come out after removing the 2 plastic washers but very difficult to replace without removing rear tire. Hand and arm space very limited.
tourbox

Not sure about the LaPera seats but both Mustang and Corbin solo seats have two tabs at the rear of the seat that slip over those two studs and the seat is attached to the studs with hardware furnished with the seat. The fasteners are a tall "nut" with a notch to accommodate the passenger pillion which has two "female" connectors that fit over the solo seat fasteners to secure the passenger pillion at the front. The rear of the pillion is secured by a tab on the rear of the pillion and the OEM screw that secures the OEM seat.

The Silhouette seat is a solo seat and, for a touring model, should have towo mounting tabs at the rear of the seat. Sounds like you need to call LaPera.:s

Thanks for the info! The seat is a 2 up one piece seat not a solo. It has the fastback style passenger area. The seat will install but there is a little pressure when installing the rear fender nut. When you loosen the nut the rear of the seat will rise up about an inch. I will call Lepera.
WAP.gif

Back