free website stats program 1st Service | Harley Davidson Forums

1st Service

chuck60

It's been a while since I've had a new bike so my ? is, other then the 3 oils what are they going to do on the 1st 1000 mile service for all the money they charge. ( street glide )

Nothing that you can't do yourself with a few hand tools and $70 worth of quality synthetic motorcycle oils and a filter. The service checklist used to be in the back of owners manuals.

Breeze has you covered, Keep all your receipts for any work you do yourself, That way warranty will not be an issue. Typically the 1k check @ the dealer is a rush job any way, you can save yourself the money and get to know your bike with the help of the self help section and members here. Good luck:s

Witch spectrol gear oil should be used in the transmission, there seems to be a lot to choose from.

I'm also using the heavy duty platinum 6 speed in my '07 trans. Previously I had Mobil1 synthetic 75w90. Mobil1 is available everywhere. MAYBE the Spectro shifts a little smoother than the Mobil. I have Amsoil (forgot the #) in my '92 Dyna, and I like it also. There's lots of good lubes on the market, and you can read about them for years on the internet.:p

Be sure to lube stem bearings. More than likely you will have to change grease fitting. On my 2008 EG I found fitting to be metric......Try to find a grease with a temp rating of 400 degrees or more. This will reduce grease melting and dripping on front fender when weather gets hot...
Doing the service your self will be the best way to do the service. It is not hard at all, and the money saved will allow you to buy more stuff for the steed....

Nothing that you can't do yourself with a few hand tools and $70 worth of quality synthetic motorcycle oils and a filter. The service checklist used to be in the back of owners manuals.

I am going to let Harley do the first service just because I feel more comfortable with that, but what I don't understand is why one dealer wants $350.00 with syn. oil and the other only charges $220.00 for the same thing. What gives? After 1st service I will do my own oil's as I have done on other bikes.

Back