free website stats program 1999 Ultra & fuel consumption | Harley Davidson Forums

1999 Ultra & fuel consumption

wannaride

When I first got my 99 Ultra I got 50mpg 2 up. Now I am getting 37mpg 2 up. What all can I do to get it back up there? As far as I know the only real thing that can be changed is the TPS. I used a gas analyser & set it by the TPS & went from 1000-600 HC down to 200 at idle & 150 @2500rpm's. I tried setting up the TPS by the manual but that had the HC way up there. All the sensors were replaced new about a year ago. I have adjusted the valves a couple of times also. Moving the TPS just seems to be a lot from where the manual says to start. I don't want to run it lean is why I stopped @ the 200-150HC's. Anyone with any idea's

Toby

All other things being equal, sometimes, an intake leak can cause your mileage to drop significantly.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I'd guess you probably have changed how you are riding. Using the power band to improve your position on the highway, thus keeping you safer. Now be careful Toby because I have rode with you and you are not a plodder.

Checked for intake leaks, exhaust leaks, not there. I have fought the intake leaks before. Craig, drive it the same since I got it & am some what easy with my wife on the back. Will try to drop the HC's down more, just don't want to run it too lean & am not sure if there is anything else that can be adjusted to change fuel mileage. I am not trying to get it back to the 50mpg's since I think fuel quality has gone down hill, but would like to get it back up to the mid 40's. By the way, it has 91000 miles on it.

Toby

With 91K on it, I would do a compression check on it. It may just be getting long in the tooth and some freshening up.

I'll check that, my compression testers are at the shop, so will try to remeber to bring it home & check it. But I am thinking that I did that @ the start of winter when it started to act up on me.

Toby

Back