free website stats program 1999 Softail Evo, loss of power at high revs.. | Harley Davidson Forums

1999 Softail Evo, loss of power at high revs..

SE6A

Good evening, anyone can point me in the right direction to this one, which I noticed tonight.
once I got up to around 70, there was no more acceleration to be had, loss of power, rolling off would settle back to a steady 70.
had fuel, clean air filter....any suggestions welcome.

I assume it just started without any work previously done? What type of a carb., ign. is on it? If it is a CV carb. you may want to check your slide for proper movement. It may be sticking or havea small pin hole in it's diaphragm.
tourbox

hI there, yes, no previous work done, it just started, initially I thought I was running low on fuel, no fuel light on these old ones, just flick the tap to reserve!
its completely standard Softail Standard 1999. will check the carb, and the air filter inlet etc, fitting new spark plugs too.
thanks for your suggestions.

Maybe the coil (if original from factory) is breaking down and losing output once it's warmed up at higher speeds?

If it is just a loss of power, no cutting out than I would start with a fuel filter, and with it off try to blow thru it to see if it is restricted.
We get many vehicles in our shop that have the same symptom, plugged fuel filter everytime

If it was a bit on the cool side 15* or below and a wee bit damp the slow jet can ice up
as you slow down there is enough heat from the engine to melt the ice
at higher speeds engine is cooling quicker than it can heat up

Brian

Sounds like a fuel issue. As has been said, make sure slide is opening up all the way, check diaphragm for pinholes, tears as it doesn't take much, check the screen at petcock and check the evaporator valve in the tank vent line.

If it is just a loss of power, no cutting out than I would start with a fuel filter, and with it off try to blow thru it to see if it is restricted.
We get many vehicles in our shop that have the same symptom, plugged fuel filter everytime

thanks, I will get to that, I now have a flat battery and its a new one, so another problem to locate!

Sounds like a fuel issue. As has been said, make sure slide is opening up all the way, check diaphragm for pinholes, tears as it doesn't take much, check the screen at petcock and check the evaporator valve in the tank vent line.
thanks, I will take off the carb this next few days and check that out.

If it was a bit on the cool side 15* or below and a wee bit damp the slow jet can ice up
as you slow down there is enough heat from the engine to melt the ice
at higher speeds engine is cooling quicker than it can heat up

Brian
Cheers Brian, we are still quite warm down here, but good to know for the future!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back