free website stats program 1999 Road King Swing Arm delima | Harley Davidson Forums

1999 Road King Swing Arm delima

Magilla65

I took my Road King down the local shop for a new rear tire, and the dude called me with some disturbing news, my swing arm was broken!!

Awe RATS I thought as I asked what it would take to replace it, I was not prepared for the answer!

You cannot replace this, unless you find a used one, AND I would not recommend that.

WOW!

Then I got the story about these being known to have this issue and were replaced after the 1999 models, they were used on the 97, 98, 99.

He suggested finding one and welding "gussets" on it for added strength, might make it last longer, but a permanent fix.

BLah BLH BLAH

anyway I have since checked into many things, the "upgrade kit" from CCE contains the bushings, sleeves and axle (if you choose it) - Swing Arm not included.

The axel is a 1" Axle, and the part number suggests its is for a 2002.

but the 2002 swing arms I have looked for have 3/4" axle.

Am I trying to use the incorrect CCE Kit, or am I looking for the wrong replacement Swing Arm??

I am at best a shade tree mechanic, being forced at times to fix things on cars and bikes over the years. I know I can spend time doing research on everything under the sun.

Just thought if someone else had run into this I could get some pointers as the year model swing arm, brake caliper to get.

I know I must also replace my wheel hub, which might take identifying the MFR, (custom mag, I am third owner).

Any help would be appreciated.

I hope you are aware that the Glides and Kings are basically the same bike and part are interchangeable. Have a discussion with the Harley shop and find out what they would do in a similar situation. I can not believe that it is as dire as the shop has explained it to you.

Mine was broke, I realized the reason on the second time of fixing it. The axle necks down to 5/8" on the outside so all the stress is on the inside, after rewelding it, adding extra metal on it then I realized the problem (if I had thought about it soon enough I would have made the hole for the axle 5/8" instead of 3/4")

So I had my machinist machine down the nut like the old mag lugs where & I have 50K on it with no problems.

But there are a lot of options out there to go to a later model swing arm. You can also get with some of the trike builders & possibly get a take off. I have some info on the change over if you want me to post it.
Here is a place you might find a swing arm. It changes all the time so if you look today, if you don't find one, look again tomorrow or a couple of days later.
American Parts and Motorcycles - Bikes For Sale

Toby

So the machining of the nut transferred the pressure to a more evenly distributed stress?

I did check with the local HD Shop down here, and they were shocked that the swing arm was obsolete!

One dude there had heard of retrofitting the swing arm set up for an 02 thru 08 swing arm, and the Custom Cycle Engineering kit.

He priced it up at right around $1500.00, and said I would not need to replace the Rear Caliper.

With the axl having a 3/4" axle & having both sides of the swing arm being 3/4" & the axle necking down it rides on the inside only, so by machining the nut itsupports it on both sides. I have some info on the conversion or upgrades if you need them.

Toby

Still working on it, I now own a Swing Arm for the 2002 to 2008 bikes.

Simply sitting and saving for the Custom Cycle Works Kit.

After that the Wheel hub from 3/4" to 1" to take the larger axle, then assembly!!

May be a while before I am on the road again, but I will get there.

Thanks for the input.

Back