free website stats program 1999 RKC Hard Start / Low Idle | Harley Davidson Forums

1999 RKC Hard Start / Low Idle

rking_99

1999 road king classic, EFI, just turned 40K miles.

A couple of days ago, it started to become difficult for the bike to start. It would not remain started until I twist the throttle just a bit while engaging the starter to get it going.

Once started, it will remain running but at lower idle than in the past (No Tach).

I have now read several posts on this subject and would like some confirmation on my reasoning.

I found the most likely cause to be the idle air control. I have read that cleaning the hole out might be a good start. But then reading other posts, maybe my 1999 road king EFI with a stock Magneti Marelli body does not have the hole they are referrring to for cleaning.

I thought about replacing plugs, wires, and other stuff but so many times the fix is something as simple as cleaning.

Does the 1999 model have the hole for IAC that needs to be cleaned? If not, is there something else that my need to cleaned on this model for the IAC. As always, appreciate your help.

I don't know the answer to that, but it is fairly easy to spot. If you take off the air cleaner and look in the throttle body, the hole that needs cleaning will be approximately 1/4" in diameter at the twelve o'clock position about an inch into the throttle body. If you have an IAC, then cleaning out this port may be a good approach. Check this out:

Harley Davidson Forums

But as you can see, it plainly states that this is the system used to control idle on the Delphi EFI system.

TQ

Found the cure in the self help section last night, cleaned the two IAC holes at 10 oclock and 2 oclock position. Thanks again 4M, your the best. Bike running great again. Will add this to the maintenance schedule.

I'm glad that we could be here for you. :D Congrats on a successful run through the self help section!

OK, may have spoken too soon. The rough start and low idle has been fixed. But, after running on the highway back and forth to work, the idle is high now. It will remain high even after blipping the throttle.

Aarrg, any thoughts team?

OK, may have spoken too soon. The rough start and low idle has been fixed. But, after running on the highway back and forth to work, the idle is high now. It will remain high even after blipping the throttle.

Aarrg, any thoughts team?

Check all the connections and componets that were removed for cleaning. Possible vacuum leak.

Back