free website stats program 1998 fxdwg vibration problem | Harley Davidson Forums

1998 fxdwg vibration problem

jms5725

please help, i have a 98 fxdwg with 22,000 miles i am noticing a very bad viration when accel or decel at normal opperating speeds. if i am on the gas hard it does not do it or if i pull in the clutch is doesnt do it either. this vibration also happens when the bike is stopped (not moving) and you hold it at a steady RPM (2000-3000) range. is this a common problem? any suggestions on what this may be and what the fix may be? :(

Welcome Jms5725 to the HDTimeline forum and your first post. Finding a vibration is like troubleshooting noise problem...have to isolate it when problem is present. I would be inclined to think it could be cam chain tension, but the real key is what was recently done prior to the start of the vibration problem. Maybe look for loose fasteners, like motor mounts, exhaust system mounting brackets, flanges etc. Certainly a lot of things to check and inspect. Look in the Self Help section for critical fasteners list and such. And look into getting a service manual if you do not have one...they are easily worth the price of admission and pay for themselves the first time you use it. Also use the Search tab and type in key words to locate related threads.

Welcome JMS; New HD74 covered a lot of good things to check. The rubber mount bikes like yours are very sensitive to vibrations caused by the exhaust system touching the frame.

thank you all very much, i just bought the bike last week and it is my first harley, always had the rice burners but hought it was time to graduate. i will get a service manual and look into the motoer mounts. thanks again.

DYNAS are famous for motor mount problems:)

really?
i find these vibrations too on my '04 fxdx, like around between 2k-3k rpm, the tail shakes so hard..
hever experienced this vibration on tourers or nightrain...

i also read an old review on '99 or '00 fxdx, vibration is a common thing on dynas...

On my '09 there are only 2 rubber mounts and 1 stabilizer link. Not really much there. I have seen old oil saturated rubber mounts on cages turn into big Gummy Bears. If the '04's don't have issues with scissored cranks, that's where I would look.

Might also check for loose primary chain and bad compensator , one bad mount or loose mount wiil cause a lot of vibration. The front mount is prone to turning to mush as Hoople said from poor oil changing habits, oil will run down and eat up the mount right quick if you dont use some kind of a catch JMO

Back