free website stats program 1997 heritage softail classic forks | Harley Davidson Forums

1997 heritage softail classic forks

My bike has 46,000 0n it and front forks bottom out easily. I bought two containers of harley fork fluid/tuneup. I have the 97/98 harley manual but besides a schematic drawing and a little bit on removal,disassembly the isn't much info. What I really would like to try is to just drain the old fluid and replace it with new. I see on the drawing wher the drain screw is but can't see where you install new. Any thoughts on what I am doing?

Although i have never changed fork oil on a bike like yours most would drain out through the drain screw and fill from the top cap
be aware the fork spring is under tension and try to throw the top cap anywhere it can once free and will need a wee bit of pressure on it to get it back on again

Brian

I dont know which book you have my book is for a 92 and it says
wet 11.5 oz
dry 12.5 oz
may have changed from 92 to 97 but probobally not
i have hd service manual clymer manual and haynes manual all give a fluid type and capacity

Brian

I don't really understand the terms "wet" or "dry". Does this mean that dry is after you have totally rebuilt them and wet is if you just drained them out and are going to refill. Sorry the question may be dumb.

I don't really understand the terms "wet" or "dry". Does this mean that dry is after you have totally rebuilt them and wet is if you just drained them out and are going to refill. Sorry the question may be dumb.

That's it in a nutshell. :D

Thanks, you are a quite an asset to all of us harley do it yourself guys. I will be going to the donate part of this forum right after this post. I have checked most of these harley chat lines and this is the best.

Thanks, you are a quite an asset to all of us harley do it yourself guys. I will be going to the donate part of this forum right after this post. I have checked most of these harley chat lines and this is the best.

Thanks for the kind words and thanks for the "donation" also. It helps keep the forum running . :s

Back