free website stats program 1997 FXSTC won't turn on. | Harley Davidson Forums

1997 FXSTC won't turn on.

oilcan

I own a 1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC) that won't say boo. i have absolutely no elelectrical. I have a brand new battery, clean terminals, good ground, checked all fuses, installed new relay.

when i turn the ingnition on, nothing lights up. battery goes from 13v to 0v. It is like i have short, which doesn't make any sense since it has been in storage for the winter. Are there any electrical components which could have failed that would cause this?

Do you have battery voltage at the starter solenoid? Have you load tested this NEW battery? Check the battery wire from the regulator to the battery for short?

Difficult to get to the solenoid on my bike. I went through 2 new batteries thinking it was a faulty new battery. I will check the wire from the regulator to the battery for a short.

If you go to -0- Volts just turning the key on I would say you have a direct short somewhere. Is it possible that mice/rats got to your wiring while in storage? I guess it was fine prior to storage? Have you done any mods since storage?
tourbox

No mice or rodents. Odd it would get a short just sitting there. Everything looks new, clean, and untouched. Quite the head scratcher.

Back