free website stats program 1996 XLH 1200 Clutch Rebuild - advice needed | Harley Davidson Forums

1996 XLH 1200 Clutch Rebuild - advice needed

Jezza

Hi

I've been asked to fix the clutch on a 1996 XLH 1200. The guy brought it in with a fried clutch. No spring or resistance at the clutch lever, so totally unable to engage the clutch. I opened up the primary and found the clutch adjustment screw loose in its hole, and bits of clutch bearing in the primary oil I drained off. The bearing had totally disintegrated with only a few of the balls still in shape, the rest had pretty much turned to powder. The clutch obviously hadn't been touched (or even adjusted) since 1996 and the primary oil was way low.

It looks like it needs a total clutch rebuild, and I will have to pull the thing apart to clean out any other bits of broken bearing and debris. I've never worked on a Harley clutch before, although I have plenty of experience working on bikes. My question is can anyone tell me what, if any special tools will I need to do this rebuild. It's not a multiple spring type clutch, but has one circular spring plate that compresses. I have ordered the Harley workshop manual for this model of bike, but need to figure out what else I need while I'm waiting for the manual to arrive at my place in Japan.

Helpful suggestions much appreciated, thanks, Jezza.

You will need the service manual as the most important tool also you will need a bearing press to get the old bearing out and the new one in and 1 special tool clutch spring compression tool hd part number 38515 or equivalent this tool is used to compress the diaphragm spring so that you can remove the snap ring to release the spring

Brian

Thanks for the advice Brian, much appreciated. Is a bearing press a bench mounted hydraulic thing or more like a plate and screw type thing (like the tool for inserting/removing inner cam bearings)? How's the weather in bonnie Scotland? Japan is already hot (but great riding weather) and May's just started!

A bench type bearing press if i need one i go to a local car place that will press a bearing out and put the new one in for me
however i usually use some threaded bar and a suitably sized socket some large washers and a bit of steel and make something up to pull a bearing out or in
Weather here has been great for the last 6 weeks or so but back to normal now rain on rain off

Brian

Thanks Again Brian, I like the idea about using a bit of threaded bar and steel plate. I'll give it a go! Cheers Jezza

Back