free website stats program 1995 Road King question | Harley Davidson Forums

1995 Road King question

hiltonfh

Going to look at a 1995 Road King, 20,000 miles and according to the owner in excellent condition. Mostly stock. Two tone red with hard bags. Just had a recent service and tires only have 1,800 miles on them.

What is a reasonable price to expect? NADA and KBB differ somewhat on pricing. Anything to look out for?

Thanks, (from a newbie to the forum)

Woody

The KBB price is in Excellent condition $7,125

However the market is soft now so the price I would offer would be a bit less depending on condition also. One persons excellent isn't usually another persons excellent.

Thanks for the reply.

He is asking 7800. I haven't seen it yet but plan to this weekend if the rain ever stops. He said the book was around 7100 but considering the condition he was asking 7800.

Watch for weeping base gaskets, and ask if the trans pulley has been upgraded.

Welcome to the forum.

A general rule of thumb: never let emotion sway your decision when buying a motorcycle (or any other vehicle for that matter).

I know that when you see the shine of the paint and the gleam of the chrome, that is often difficult.

For the $7,800 asking price, there are MANY HDs, later model, comparable miles, "excellent" condition. Believe it or not, you REALLY don't have to have THAT one. As Glider advised, the motorcycle market is soft and most folks should be close to book value and will be negotiable. Regardless of the modifications and add-ons, the book value should be a starting point for the discussion.

What the current owner would like to get for the bike vs. the true market value could be thousands apart. Look on craigslist, cycletrader and ebay for price comps.

Be patient in the purchase of your new bike.

Good luck and safe riding!

Thanks for the info. I am never moved by the feeling. It has to be a good deal. I have a nice bike now (though not a Harley) so I don't NEED one.

I was going to start with the KBB value if it is in excellent condition.

Looked at a 1993 Heritage Softail with 40,000 on it in OK condition. Maybe a 6-7. The dealer wanted $5800 with an inspection included. The Road King is $2000 more, two years newer and half the mileage.

What was the problem with the trans pulleys that they needed to be upgraded?

Thanks to all for the input!!!!

And what book do most dealers use----KBB or NADA? One list the bike in "Excellent Condition" value around $10,000??????????????????

If he did any upgrades ask if he has the stock parts. Ask about helmets, jackets, jacks, etc. if he isn't getting a new bike he doesn't need this stuff anymore. Nunbers are the biggest issue.

The trans pulley was upgraded in 96-97 to give more engaugement on the spline. Earlier trans pulleys had a tendency to get loose and strip the splines on the pulley. Base gasket leaks were normal for most EVO motors and require that the top end be pulled to replace.

Back