free website stats program 1991 HERITAGE SOFTAIL w/sidecar | Harley Davidson Forums

1991 HERITAGE SOFTAIL w/sidecar

Duff

Hello I am new to this forum...I just got my bike and went for my first real ride yesterday....All was fine then I was going along then it shifted into 3rd and it would not pickup speed when giving gas...Seemed like something might be wrong so I pulled over... Then when I tried to put it back in gear bike would not move forward... I tried taking off in 2nd also...not such luck. Waited awhile was able to go but would only go about 30 mph and then seemed like it was reving up..Pulled over again ..with help I got it towed home...Is this a clutch or transmission problem... Bike did smell hot.... This bike was just in the shop and was given a Ok on everything ...I am very puzzled I have not even put 100 miles on her... Any input would be greatly appreciated....

I still need help...As you all know I guess is next to impossible getting a bike into a shop...Both guys here in my town are great and have been helpful ..saying what you said even told me how and drew a picture...Here's the problem the locknut seems to be very tight so when you turn the plate turns also...Any input would be helpful... Easy on me I am a female but capable of following directions well . Thank you... Shops can't get me in for 6 weeks...I want to ride and also the only enforcement sidecar class is in a week, then none schuduled...

You could use an impact(pneumatic) on the nut to loosen it. You can use a hammer driver also. If you have a friend or someone to help, place bike in 1st. gear, have your friend apply the rear brake,very hard, while you brake the nut loose with a socket. It is NOT left handed threads.
tourbox

You say not left handed threads so does that me the lefty Lucy rule doesn't apply here. And I should go clockwise ? was helpful and sounds easy enough...I will give that a try tomorrow.

Duff, these guys will help you sort through this I promise you. You have come to the right place. They know Harleys and I can assure you will be very helpful whether your male or female. Good luck!

If you are taking off the clutch and compensator the compensator is a right hand thread, lefty loosey, righty tighty. The clutch on my '94 is a left hand thread. If you are adjusting the clutch the nut holding the adjustment screw is right hand.

Thanks >>>Do you know if I should hold the clutch in while stepping on the brake..like the previous post says...

Holding the break was just to keep the clutch from moving while you break the nut loose, usually just having it in gear will keep it from moving.. Make sure to loosen the cable adjuster all the way up before you adjust the clutch, and then be sure to tighten it back up after the adjustment. I like about 1/16 to 1/8" play at the clutch handle.

Back