free website stats program 1991 FXDB-S Sturgis Rebuild Project - 1999 | Harley Davidson Forums

1991 FXDB-S Sturgis Rebuild Project - 1999

TQuentin1

Staff member
I rebuilt my '91 Dyna (FXDB-S Sturgis) in 1999. Unfortunately, I did not think to document the entire project with photographs, and did not get some cameras until I had done most of the dissassembly. I did capture the assembly part, and have put that out on photobucket at the link below. I suggest pausing the slideshow and manually advancing through the shots using your cursor keys. Enjoy!

TQ's 1991 Dyna Rebuild in 1999

I am going to rebuild the bike again this coming year, and will do a much better job documenting the up-coming job. This time I am going to split the engine case and gut the tranny or replace it.

TQ

Last edited:
Very cool bike, and very cool slide show of the rebuild. I have added such a project to my "bucket list" and am envious of your opportunity and ability to do this.

I ran into an ad on eBay last week for a FXDB-S Sturgis with zero miles a guy had, still in the factory box. Had a $20,000 "Buy-It-Now".

Very cool bike, and very cool slide show of the rebuild. I have added such a project to my "bucket list" and am envious of your opportunity and ability to do this.

I ran into an ad on eBay last week for a FXDB-S Sturgis with zero miles a guy had, still in the factory box. Had a $20,000 "Buy-It-Now".

I searched on eBay, but could not find it.

Wow! That would be a great find. When I bought mine, the previous owners had already messed with it, and it was no longer stock. I am trying to keep it looking pretty stock, but it no longer is.

These were numbered bikes. Mine is 1065 of 1600. I wonder what the one you saw was. It would be important to verify the VIN number and all the major serial number (engine, tranny, etc.) before forking out $20K! With the tank decal, a later bike could be camouflaged to look like an original Sturgis.

Here is a good story:

1991 Harley FXDB Sturgis - Classic Bikes - Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum

TQ

Last edited:
Excellent slide show TQ ,make sure you take pics before you tear it down again.That was 10 yrs.ago.Your little helpers won't be so small anymore!
Are they still willing to help out dad?:D

My youngest is 2 1/2, and he is just about ready!!

TQ

Wow, great show...really like the "kitchen table" like setting. Reminds me of something Smitty would do. And yes, sure neat to have a helper to share the dream with. We always talk about non-riders not understanding what we see in a piece of HD iron...kids have no problem understanding it...when they see us "live the dream" while helping them craft theirs! :a

TQ, thanks , again, for taking the time to share your labors. Your documentation of the roller chain conversion saved me a lot of time.

Good Sunday slide show thanks it takes me back to a friends Sturgis we rebuilt years ago, good show

that is the perfect bike to rebuild. i would love to have a sturgis as a project. keep the pictures coming.

Back