free website stats program 1991 Dyna Glide Sturgis Edition | Harley Davidson Forums

1991 Dyna Glide Sturgis Edition

Picked up this bike last year. Disassembled it and plan on building it this coming spring. Are these bikes sought after by collectors? Should I try to restore it (not my initial plan) since less then 1600 of these bikes were made and out of that a few hundred were shipped over seas. What would this bike be worth if I just built it the way I wanted?

I had one for a short time in 1993, but was offered stupid money for it & sold. I have a '92 Dyna Custom and watch Ebay completed sales just to keep up. A '91 Sturgis in great condition will usually get around $8k. I wouldn't let the limited aspect keep me from doing what I wanted to it.

1980-fxb-sturgis.jpg

This is the one most sought after, tho the newer version as yours is came as a Sturgis model and a Dyna Daytona model They can bring serious money to the right person in pristine shape

It might be best to restore to original condition. You make get the greatest satisfaction. Then get another bike to customize your way.

It might be best to restore to original condition. You make get the greatest satisfaction. Then get another bike to customize your way.

I have a good friend back in MN who has been a collector for years. He has an all original first year Sturgis. He was going to sell it at one time until the buyer started saying how he was going to change the bike around, that was 20 years ago and the bike is still bone stock:s

I've always thought they were one of the best looking stock bikes Harley made. If it were mine I would not be thinking about resale, but I would bring it back to as close to original as I could. I probably would do some mods to the motor though.

I have #1065. I was the third owner when I bought it. It had been fiddled with by the previous owners to the point where getting it back to original stock condition would not have been easy. But I tore off all the junk and put it back so it LOOKed sort of stock. The bike was my daily ride at the time, so I did replace that uncomfortable Sturgis seat (still have the original), and the cans had dents, scrapes and corrosion to the point were they were junk. Replaced them with drags.

After riding around the Houston highway for a couple of years, then engine (especially the front side) and tranny were pretty sand blasted. I rebuild the top end in '99 and painted the engine and tranny with high temp flat black paint. On the top end and inner Primary, I had the rest of the powder coat stripped and redid those with Poly Dyn (teflon). This is a very durable coating that did not have the same problems as the powder coat.

So the bike looks pretty much like an original Sturgis especially when I put the OEM seat and backrest on it. I have the wind screen and all the bits that would put it even back to even closer original condition.

I don't intend to get rid of it. It is my little bike. But it needs some TLC since the tranny is shot and needs rebuilding. When my round tuit arrives, I am gonna rebuild it completely - splitting the case and gutting the tranny. I will rebuild the engine and install a 6-spd Builder's Kit in the tranny. Will still keep it LOOKING as close to stock as possible though.

Good luck with your project. Let us know what number your bike is, and take pix of the project as you go. Will be great to see it in-process.

Here is my top end project from '99:

1991 Sturgis Rebuild - 1999 Slideshow by TQuentin1 | Photobucket (when the slide changes, move your mouse to see the caption - you can also slow down the transition speed)

Cheers,

TQ

Attachments

• 053-Done Front.jpg
    053-Done Front.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 056-Done Rear - Lets Ride.jpg
    056-Done Rear - Lets Ride.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 055-Done Right.jpg
    055-Done Right.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 054-Done Left.jpg
    054-Done Left.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 052-Done Son doing QC inspection.jpg
    052-Done Son doing QC inspection.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Originally the number was just above the turn signal/oil press/high beam indicators. There is a pic in the attached, you may have to click on "see original listing" to get all the pics. TQ may know if there is other ways to find the number.
Harley Davidson Dyna | eBay

The plate that had the production number in that location is gone. Is there another way of finding out what production number I have?

Back