free website stats program 1988 FLHTC Oil Pressure | Harley Davidson Forums

1988 FLHTC Oil Pressure

58Duo

Hello all, have a couple of questions reguarding oil temps oil pressure. My 88 electra has 43000 miles and I have noticed higher oil temps this year than previous years. I have been geting low oil pressure light flutter after even a 20 or 30 mile ride,when ideling. I switched to Harley SYN3 before goin out staurday on a 300 mile ride.Pressure is steady at 11 pounds when running at about 2500 rpm between 60 and 65 and the temp seemed to remain under 225. I can pull over and get a low Oil pressure flutter shut the bike off wait a minute or less restart and have 5-6 pounds of pressure at idel and no flutter. Does this sound like a weak oil pump or an electrical short in the gauges or sending unit? I haven't noticed any pinging in the valves but concerned about pressure.

Hello all, have a couple of questions reguarding oil temps oil pressure. My 88 electra has 43000 miles and I have noticed higher oil temps this year than previous years. I have been geting low oil pressure light flutter after even a 20 or 30 mile ride,when ideling. I switched to Harley SYN3 before goin out staurday on a 300 mile ride.Pressure is steady at 11 pounds when running at about 2500 rpm between 60 and 65 and the temp seemed to remain under 225. I can pull over and get a low Oil pressure flutter shut the bike off wait a minute or less restart and have 5-6 pounds of pressure at idel and no flutter. Does this sound like a weak oil pump or an electrical short in the gauges or sending unit? I haven't noticed any pinging in the valves but concerned about pressure.

I agree with changing out the sending unit. It is easy to get to, and cheap. But I would also suggest opening up the two ports on the top of the pump and making sure those ports are clean and smooth inside. You may need a magnet to get the ball bearing out (#36), but I use a popsicle stick to get the plunger (#136) out. Then swab out the ports with a long Q-tip and some mineral spirits to make sure there is no build up in there. Best to do all this when you are changing oil.

OIL PUMP - 1988 Harley Davidson FLHTC

I would also remove and clean your lifter screen (#23) at this time (do this every time you change the oil and filter).

CRANKCASE - GEAR SIDE - 1988 Harley Davidson FLHTC

TQ

Thanks for all the info I am going to clean out the pump asap,I have already and do clean the tappet screen with each oil change never heard of cleaning the ports on the pump makes alot of sence Thank You.
I would love to post some pics of my Duo Glide but a drunk driver in a K5 blazer took me and it for a ride.

Back