free website stats program 1986 883 stalling and starter switch problems... | Harley Davidson Forums

1986 883 stalling and starter switch problems...

CamachoMan

Hi all...
I have a 1986 883 Sporty with straight Milwaukee pipes. The previous owner had a belt drive kit installed. I installed all new clutch plates and front master cylinder and all was running fine and then all of a sudden the bike stalls at starting out in 1st gear now this doesn't happen all the time but it seems to be getting more frequent. It also sometimes stalls in nuetral with the stand down for no apparent reason. I adjusted the idle speed to specs as it was half of what it should have been. I also installed new plugs but the problem still persists. Also, when trying to restart I push the starter button and I get nothing sometimes and other times it fires up (dead ignition?) Any ideas? HELP!!! I wanna ride without having to worry about this! :D
Thanks all...

I have noticed when I first got my bike a 96 that if I put the bike on the stand it will starve for gas and wants to die. For this I would check the jetting, if the pilot is a little small it could be starving for gas.

As far as your starting issues, it sounds like you coil is failing. It could also be your battery. If none of those are the problem, it is possible that there is a short somewhere.

First thing to do in a situation like this is to remove the battery cables from the bike and inspect them clean both ends and the area they seat on and retry

Brian

Back