free website stats program 1985 FXR won't move in gear? | Harley Davidson Forums

1985 FXR won't move in gear?

Thumper427

Hi,

I am a biker myself but I am posting on behalf of my neighbour who is the owner of the FXR in question, I hope that's OK as he doesn't have much time to get on the internet.

The bike is a 1985 (D plate) FXR Super Glide with only 18k on the clock.

The clutch was starting to slip when the bike was hot so he called out a "visit your house" bike mechanic. He left the guy to it and later on he said it was fixed, he was paid and off he went.

When my neighbour went out to take the bike for a spin he put the bike in gear, revved up and it just doesn't go anywhere :34:

This "mechanic" is now not answering his phone and not returning his calls :(

Does anyone have any ideas what on earth this guy has done or what could be wrong?

Thank you in advance :)

Thanks Glider, will certainly give that a go. The clutch looks different though, on his FXR theres 2 small roller bearings with the cable going into the case and then the pushrod that goes into the bearing on the left... do I still follow the instructions on that video?

Thanks again:)

that bike has a taper shaft, make sure to check the keyway, as well as the obvious stuff like clutch plates and adjustment ok let us know how ya do...

Back