free website stats program 1985 FLTC Drive Belt Question | Harley Davidson Forums

1985 FLTC Drive Belt Question

Vibratinharley

I recently bought this 85 FLTC which is in really nice condition and seems to have been fairly well maintained but I am concerned about the drive belt which is not damaged but is as old as the bike. I know I wouldn't trust tires that were this old no matter how good the tread was but how is it with belts? Do you just go by mileage as this bike has 21,000 miles on it ( sad huh?) Do they get weak with age or from just sitting? Any thoughts?

to me it's like rubber id change it unless u just ride around town..i have broken a few...my 2 cents....ride safe.

I'm still running the original with 82500 on it. I did invest in a emergency one for about $100 just in case. I never replaced one but it looks fairly involved - Bob

Thanks for the help. I am going to try and hopefully make it through the summer and fall and make this a winter project as it is more involved than I want to get into right now. I hope I am not making a bad choice. I guess an emergency belt in saddlebag might not be a bad idea if they make one for bike this old...

I think this is the part#

Part Number: 40100-85

For temporary replacement of secondary belt. Contains spliced belt, alignment fixture block, hardware, Allen wrenches, and instructions.

(136-Tooth). Fits '85-'94 Domestic FXR models, '85-'96 Domestic FLT models, and '96 International FLT models.

Just make sure if you USE the emergency belt to drive it easy and to get home ASAP. They aren't meant as a long term replacement for the original belt. Also check the fasteners periodically along the way.

Thanks for the help. I am going to try and hopefully make it through the summer and fall and make this a winter project as it is more involved than I want to get into right now. I hope I am not making a bad choice. I guess an emergency belt in saddlebag might not be a bad idea if they make one for bike this old...

UNLESS it shows Bad Rounds on the underside(inside) of belt, or has rock holes, I wouldn't monkey with it..... If it set out in the sun parked for a year with direct sunlight on the belt yes... The normal life of a belt is varied by adjustment (too Tight or Loose) road conditions (gravel a no,no.)....

I and others have gotten 40,000 to 60,000 miles without a problem and MORE... They are TOUGH if cared for properly.... (noting above)

signed....BUBBIE

Back