free website stats program 1984 FXRT - turn signal issue? | Harley Davidson Forums

1984 FXRT - turn signal issue?

bmanchee

Hey folks. I just recently purchased an 84 FXRT, and one quirk that the salesman showed me was that the turn signal switches have to be held down for the turn signals to work - once you let up on the switch it turns off the signals. He said it was normal for a bike from this era, but I find that hard to believe. Was this standard configuration back then, or does it sound like an actual problem? What would be involved with repairing/upgrading the switch functionality? I'm not so concerned about upgrading to auto-cancelling signals, but holding down the switches while trying to slow down/start from a stop/make a turn is a real PITA - LOL. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Holding the switches is about right for the older bikes. As far as upgrading, I've never done it so wouldn't know what would be involved here.

Holding the switches is about right for the older bikes. As far as upgrading, I've never done it so wouldn't know what would be involved here.

wasn't it about 86 when MOCO changed that? I know on my 87 FXRC I can push and let go.

yep stock.You can install later model switches at a cost.It will not be plug and play however you will need to know what does what.

Eh,yep.A factory service manual and the patience of a glacier would help too.You cannot get them to self cancel no matter what you install.Well within reason,I'm sure you could find an expensive way around that but why?

I also have an 84 FXRT, I used to have an 83 FXRT. I really liked the turn signal controls, considering the bike I had before that was 63 Duo Glide.

Hey folks. I just recently purchased an 84 FXRT, and one quirk that the salesman showed me was that the turn signal switches have to be held down for the turn signals to work - once you let up on the switch it turns off the signals. He said it was normal for a bike from this era, but I find that hard to believe. Was this standard configuration back then, or does it sound like an actual problem? What would be involved with repairing/upgrading the switch functionality? I'm not so concerned about upgrading to auto-cancelling signals, but holding down the switches while trying to slow down/start from a stop/make a turn is a real PITA - LOL. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Howdy!

I did a mod to my 1988 FXSTS to use the 1990 model turn signal buttons, they are the push-on and push again-off type. All I had to do is solder the new switches inplace of the old hold to flash type switch.

Please be gentle with the questions as did this mod 19 years ago!!

Back