free website stats program 1984/85 FXR Igintion problems | Harley Davidson Forums

1984/85 FXR Igintion problems

Ok Just got the bike had a miss in it thur all rpm range change out the whole ignition system went back to stock Mod had a screaming eagle mod in it change the coil,pick up plugs wires ect ect now the timing marks are jumping all over the place the orginal wiring for the coil is white is + blue is neg on the new wiring harness white is + red is - I supect that the coil is hooked up backwards not sure how do u tell the + term on a stock coil or do I have the wrong coil for this vin bike the 1 thats on it now is a 3ohm but the harley parts book shows 2 diffrent coil #s right now the white + wire is hooked up to the term above the front spark plug wire

Look the coil over, they usually have a tiny + on the positive side.

Another way to tell if you are brave is to pull a plug wire and hold it about 3/4"- 1" from the plug with it running, now put the tip of a pencil in the path of the spark. If it sparks towards the plug you are OK. If it sparks towards the wire, it's backwards. Feeling lucky today :D

Thanks I'll look at it again I didnt see a + on it this is my wifes bike so I guess I'll have to get brave it ran good before the igntion change out other than the miss been working on harleys for 20+ years and this 84/85 fxr given me a head ache

The 66-84 shovel head Manual I downloaded from this site, has a electrical schematic on the very last page for a 83-84 FXE. The coil if mounted vertically shows - at the top and + at the bottom

Attachments

• Presentation1.jpg
    Presentation1.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 61
Thanks I'm going to switch the wires and cross my fingers and hope for the best I just bought the bike and the PPL that had it before had a very bad mechanic this miss in all the rpm range is agravating changed the carb out with an S&S the old 1 was worn out the problem with this bike as I'm finding out is that it is a cross of late 84 /early85 and it is hard to find the right parts so to speak example is the primary cover not just any fxr will fit same for the eletrical parts as in the coil that year has two diffrent part #s 1 early 1 late I sure miss the points and magneto days LOL LOL

Thanks I'm going to switch the wires and cross my fingers and hope for the best I just bought the bike and the PPL that had it before had a very bad mechanic this miss in all the rpm range is agravating changed the carb out with an S&S the old 1 was worn out the problem with this bike as I'm finding out is that it is a cross of late 84 /early85 and it is hard to find the right parts so to speak example is the primary cover not just any fxr will fit same for the eletrical parts as in the coil that year has two diffrent part #s 1 early 1 late I sure miss the points and magneto days LOL LOL

blue harley , did that help??? i'm having the same on my 86 fxr. is the white in front or is it the red??? thanks

Back