free website stats program 1972 FLH charging issue | Harley Davidson Forums

1972 FLH charging issue

misterfozz

I'm glad I found this forum and Hope that someone can give me a little guidance on checking the charging system on my 72 FLH Electra Glide.

My baby is an old AMF version that I love dearly. It is a stock bike that I have owned for 40 years. I had a load test done on the 1 yr old battery with 239 cca and over 12 volts of charge. The battery is rated at 240 cca so I have ruled that out. The electrical system has never been updated and is all original.

The battery went dead on me last week and I had to have a jump. I would like to know if anyone has info on how to determine if I have a drain on the battery or that the charging system is at fault.

Thanks

When you unplug the regulator for it's test, look at the plug end for signs of arching. The pins will appear to be eroded or chipped. If this is the case the stator plug will have the same problem. As the plug/connector ages it becomes looser and the arching occurs which eats away at the contacts. I would replace both,reg. & stator.
An easy check for current drain with ign. off is to disconnect the Battery Neg. terminal. Turn off any lights in your garage and just touch the neg. cable back to the battery several times. If you see any arks then you have a drain. You shouldn't have any radio,alarms etc. like the newer bikes that have always put a drain on it.
tourbox

Back