free website stats program 1969 Sporster Magneto | Harley Davidson Forums

1969 Sporster Magneto

69xlh

Can anybody help with setting a magneto or what to look for as far as adjustment. The bike takes about 45 min to start it is a kick start so its not fun. Thanks for any help

First thing is when was the last time the magneto was rebuilt? The Fairbanks Morris magneto was built to be remagntized every other year for optimum performance. Always remember that the XLCH was an extreme performance bike back then. The magneto operrates on spining a magnet between coils of wire to produce dc electricity for the ignition. The genrator up front is just for the lights only as there is no battery. You need to send the magneto unit to some one who specialized in rebuilding and remagnatizing it. Carful timing it and the kick starting will be much easier. Fossil

Unless you have some real need to use the original magneto, check out one of the aftermarket electronic ingnitions, as I remember on the 69 I had the magneto and hard starting were a pain in the.....well you know where.

Thanks for the help everybody I've talked to has'nt said anything about being rebuilt like you explained

I had one of those 68 XLCHs ... and about half past March up north, 45 minutes was about a normal starting time...

On the serious side, are you doing a correct rebuild on this or is it just going to be a daily driver? if you're doing a restoration, I'd use the correct mag, if you are building a clean daily driver I'd switch to the newer electronic ignitions. Life will be much easier.

Hi. I put a Joe Hunt magneto back in 1970 on my 64 XLCH after I blueprinted/balanced the engine. Using the same magneto today and it starts on 2-3 kicks. It has a 38mm lake injector with 2" drag pipes. Will be doing a rebuild this winter. Go with a brand name mag and you'll be much happier. Good lucj.

Back