free website stats program 1966 Shovelhead Exhaust Installation Problems | Harley Davidson Forums

1966 Shovelhead Exhaust Installation Problems

boboh1

I have a 1966 FLH which is pretty much stock and am replacing the exhaust. Purchased a new stock like 2 into 1 exhaust system made by V-Twin manufacturing. The problem is the end of the front cylinder pipe will not line up to slide into the 'squish pipe' opening. No matter how much I play around with it the two openings are about an inch off. I tried another front head pipe but got the same results.Any idea what may be the problem? All their tech guys said was to send it back for a refund, but need the exhaust installed. Can I just have a muffler shop bend the tube a bit? Would be an easy install and should line up you would think. Thanks.

Can you post some pictures of the issue? Some times the after market manufactures say something fits, but it may not fit all models listed. I've had this issue on my 77 FXE with exhaust and "OEM Style" pie slice front brake caliper.

I would think that if you bend the tube that much the chrome will come loose.

Quality exhaust pipes are mandrel bent then polished and chromed, once the chroming is done you run the risk of cracking the chrome, have you had the heads replaced? Reason I ask is some of the Shovels were a bit off intake and exhaust ports

VTwin mfg. used to be quality stuff. I used to buy their products, then they moved operations to the far east. If it is a one piece 2 into 1 pipe, I'd opt for the refund. But bending is an option. Be careful, putting pressure on the exhaust spigot will weaken it. They are prone to breaking and head has to come off to weld and machine it. Yea, I broke mine.

I was concerned too about bending it would mess up the chrome.
The previous owner did mention that the top end has been done but I am pretty sure the heads are original. I wish I kept the pipes that were on there as a reference but they were old and ugly so tossed them. The new set consists of the two head pipes sliding into the mid squish pipe section. here is a pic showing the front head pipe is not inline and this is the best I can move it around attempting to line them up.DSC01496.JPG

OK, I was envisioning a one piece system. Since the head pipe is separate from the squish pipe, bending is more feasible. Does the head pipe by itself fit fully into the exhaust port, and the flange fit nicely to the gasket surface? It's hard to tell from the pic, but the squish pipe seems to be the guilty piece. I just looked at mine, and the opening of the squish pipe is totally vertical, it does not angle up at all. If it was mine (easy to cut up someone else's stuff), I would have a good welder cut the mounting flange and make the necessary cut adjustments right next to the head. The pipes will discolor there, so the weld won't be noticeable after a few miles. just my early morning opinion.

The head pipe fits nicely into the exhaust port so it does look like the squish pipe should be more straight and level and not aimed up like that. So I should try to bend the that pipe upward? Not sure about the welding part. Maybe I can also mess around with the mid mounting tab too.

The head pipe fits nicely into the exhaust port so it does look like the squish pipe should be more straight and level and not aimed up like that. So I should try to bend the that pipe upward? Not sure about the welding part. Maybe I can also mess around with the mid mounting tab too.
Sure, if you score the chrome you can put an after market heat shield on no one will know

Back