free website stats program 170 tire on wide glide??? | Harley Davidson Forums

170 tire on wide glide???

DirtyDieselHawk

I know there are all kinds of threads about tires. However, I did not see any that actually showed a photo of the difference between a mounted 170/60 and a 160/70 17 tire. Does anyone have some photos they could show or direct me to in order to give me an idea of the difference. I am looking to put a 170 tire on an 06 wide glide. I was told that it should mount up without any issues, even for 2 up riding. Please let me know if this information is not correct. Has anyone done this and notice any difference in handling?

I'm not sure if you'd really notice a dramatic difference in the handling. It's only 10mm or about 3/8" wider. Divide that evenly and it translates into only 3/16" on each side of the tire. Unless the belt is just about touching the tire or the tire is close to the belt guard, clearance going to a 170 shouldn't be a problem. Make sure to look at the load ratings for each tire as well before going to the 170. If you ride two up often, make sure the load rating of the replacement is as high or slightly higher than the 160.
WAP.gif

Thanks for the reply Big Al. I didn't think there would be too many issues. I know the dealership said I would need a relocation kit for turn signal wires if I wanted to go to 180mm, but I do not really need to go that big. Basically I know there is going be a smaller sidewall, just thought maybe someone would have some pictures of a 160 and 170 mounted up to see the difference. And thanks for the heads up on the load ratings.

Back