free website stats program 16 Apes 2009 Road King Classic | Harley Davidson Forums

16 Apes 2009 Road King Classic

Thumbs

I have a 2009 Road King Classic and purchased 16 inch Apes and Barnett extension wires and sensor extension. After re-pining with the extensions and trying to push the wires through the 11/4 inch bars it was obvious that the harness would not go through the bars because the extension should have been staggered and the cutout in the bars larger. Plugged in the harness to check lights all worked except the head light and spots. I re check the pins on the left side. I had the blue and black wire in the wrong spot changed the wires plugged it back in checked light all worked. After putting the bike together and starting it up and going through the check again. The signal lights do not blink, horn not working and cruise light does not come on. I pulled the manual and check the color coding against what I had drawn out and it was the same. All were working before putting the bike back. Wonder if the pin's are not contacting in the female plug. I checked fuses and none are broken. Anyone have an ideal.

I put 16" Wild 1 apes on my 08 RK a while back. The wiring is a mother to get all run through the bars with the throttle by wire harness. Let's just say that I put holes in my garage walls from putting it all together and running into the same issues you are, then tearing it all back down again. You may have to pull the harnesses out and check each connection individually. How did you splice in your wire extensions?? Did you solder them? Also, did you not find that you had enough length in the TBW wire to not use an extension?? I rerouted some wires and found that I didnt need the 6" extension that I purchased. It was giving me a really hard time getting those wires through there with the extension on there, but once I took it off I had plenty of wire and it didn't bind with the other wires in the bend of the handle bars. I also used a little windex to help lube it all through the bars. Windex will evaporate and not leave a gooey mess like vasoline will. Let us know if you get it figured out.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response. I could not get the 15" Novell extension wires through the Drag Specility 16" 11/4 Apes. If the extensions were staggered it's would work. I'm at the stage of pulling the harness and removing the wires from the Mollex connector and plugging the males directly into the female connector for some reason I think the spades are not long enough. I did not solder the wires I placed the male connector into the female and heat shrunk them per the instructions. The numbers on the back of the Mollex connector correspond with the color scheme in the manual but the signal lights don't blink, horn does not work and cruise control does not light up. The TBW 15" wire extentions from Barrnett had no problem with it. (I may have posted this twice because my browser crashed).

I would ditch the connectors and hook the spades up directly and solder them then put a little heat shrink over them. Make sure you stagger them and you will have a solid installation that will last the lifetime of your bike. Good luck.

Are the extensions you're using fitting inside the bars? If it's working out for you using the extension, other then a bad pin or connection, let me know, I'll be watching this post to see. Thanks
On internal wired bars I have always added wire by solder,shrink tube & offset the splices, unless it's a short add-on and I can use a extension and hind connectors in the fairing. I have found the Throttle sensor harley uses in the internally wired bars on the CVO bikes (32310-08) is extended and has no connector in-line so their's more room for the other wires to pass through.

Well I fixed it!! After running the wires through the bar (used copper welding wire and a #1 crochet needle) before putting the Molex connector on I check each button with the ohm meter to make sure the wires had continuity then put them in the connector and checked again. Put the bike back together. I turned on the bike to check horn, signals and cruise control and again none were working. I pulled the "acc fuse" and checked it with the ohm meter because I visually could not see any breaks; the ohm meter indicated that it was broken I checked the connection on the horn and it had shorted out. (I ordered this bike new last year had it delivered in the winter and never honked the horn until this installation). I replaced the fuse after fixing the wires on the horn now all electrical is working. I put on new steel braided lines (a real hassle the roll pin had to be removed) bled them and put on a new steel braided clutch line. Now all I need to do is change my oil I serviced the front end when it was apart. I only have 900 miles on the bike and this is the third oil & filter and transmission oil change.

I am looking to install 18" apes on my 06 rad king and I'm planning to do it myself. I wanted to ask for your opinion on the difficulty level. I've never done anything like it but I'm excited about doing it myself, just to say I did it my self. Any pointers or process I should follow would be greatly appreciated.

Back