free website stats program 15K miles service | Harley Davidson Forums

15K miles service

GONEBROK

So here is my story, I was finishing a 600 mile ride from Blacksburg VA from the Hog4Hokies ride and noted I was almost at 15K miles and time for service. I dropped of the bike with the following instructions:

complete the 15K mile service, check and adjust the clutch (grabbing low), unusual top end noise @ 3000 RPM (sewing machine), squeek in right slip-on, annual state inspection, and hard starting when hot.

Results: 15K inspection complete, clutch adjusted (now too high), top end noise explained as normal, no adjustments needed, adjusted slip-on (squeek still there) state inpsection revealed I needed new tires (which I purchased) and the hard starting was due to a bad compensating sprocket.

Work performed: Last year the hard starting was explained as starter and replaced under warrenty, now the compensator is the problem due to poor design and has since been upgraded. New tires installed with exact same (Dunlop 407/408).

Problem: I now have a new and very distinct vibration around 30 MPH (2nd, 3rd and 4th gear) that didn't exist when I dropped the bike off. I am not sure if it is tire vibration or the new Comp Sproket. I returned the bike to the dealer, the original mech and another mech rode the bike and said there is nothing wrong, normal vibration. I have put every mile on that bike and know what it feels like (and what it is not supposed to feel like) so where could this vibration be coming from? I'm thinking it might be balencing of the new tires but not sure how to determine whether front or rear. In a car, you can determine where the problem is based on where you feel the vibrations, on the wheel it usually indicates balance, in the seat usually something in the rear or in the suspension. Is this also true on bikes?

Sorry for such a long first post but I thought the more detail I provide the better someone may be able to assist.
Thanks in advance for your advice and if the dealer calls with any info I will add to this.

I'd take it back to the dealer and Demand to talk with the Head of Service and IF you have already seen him...DEMAND the owner. Explain what you have above and see IF he'll get to the bottom.

I see NO reason for any change by putting in the SE Comp"A".

ASK THEM, IF the slack on the primary chain was taken up and checked?????
Simple for them to check thru the derby cover...they know how...

I just did my 09 from the Original (50,000 mi & acting up) old troubled (weak) one..... Replaced with the SE comp "A".

Starting problems solved.:s

I would suspect that One OR Both of the new tires May be the vibration.

The owner needs to hear that you HAD None of the vibs when you brought it in.

Calm but STERN..

Let us know what you and they find.

signed....BUBBIE

Also ask for the re-adjust to you liking(clutch adjustment) also your post and questions were excellent... WELCOME

BUBBIE and The Tank,
Thanks for the quick reponses. I just spoke with the service tech and he is going to have the mech take it out again, this time with feet on highway pegs. I didn't tell them yesterday that I felt it with my feet there. I was provided with a lame answer yesterday evening that the vibration was due to the floor board rubbing but that is not right. We'll see and will keep you posted. As far as a breakin period for new tires, I hadn't thought of that and the service tech didn't even mention it. Could that possibly be the problem? Trying to keep an open mind because of my inexperience here, but logic dictates to me that I wouldn't have the same problem with a car. Thanks for the advice.

Welcome to The Forum, sorry to hear of your problems with poor service, I would take it back and have them re check all work they did, paying close attention to the clutch adjustment (by the book) they should know to do this cold and do a quality test ride to confirm the NO vibration before and or after, Good luck and be firm but polite

Welcome to The Forum, sorry to hear of your problems with poor service, I would take it back and have them re check all work they did, paying close attention to the clutch adjustment (by the book) they should know to do this cold and do a quality test ride to confirm the NO vibration before and or after, Good luck and be firm but polite

Jack, thanks and great recomendation I will address that with them as well.

Here's the latest. I have the bike and the vibration is still present. I have to rethink my problem since this is the second ride. Vibration starts around 1800 and up to 2500, most prominent around 2000. So now I am more inclined to think something with the new compensating sproket or, from Jacks recomendation, the clutch adjustment. I am looking at everything I can that is part of the 15K service (air filter, plugs etc) just to personally verify there is nothing wrong. I want to provide them the best diagnosis to troubleshoot the problem. The senior service manager will return on Tuesday so until then, I am going to do some of my own research. I specifically purchased this lifetime service plan so I didn't have to wrench on this bike. I have a 78 Superglide for that, this one is for riding. So again, thank you for your responses and anything else you may suggest is greatly appreciated.

Friends,
Again, thanks so far for the advice and this is where I am at. I took the bike back from the service department and thought I would run the tires a bit and let a few buddies from the club take her out for a spin. They didn't feel anything unusual as expected, they don't know my bike. Just returned from Myrtle Beach Bike week yesterday, had exactly 1007 miles on my tires and got a flat on the rear tire at 80 MPH (butt clincher) Dealership in NC "Collier Harley Davidson" was absolutely awesome. The owner Mr. Collier and his Son Mark came in to change my tire and get me back on the road. Mark told me there was nothing in the tire but the tube was shredded and came out in pieces. He said it was probably pinched when my dealership installed it. So, second new tire, still have the vibration and now it seems as though it has become slightly worse, more prominent during downshifting. I still feel it about the same during acceleration passing through 2000 RPMs. So here is my new question, if the new compensating sprocket was installed improperly (washers not put in proper order) be the cause of this strange vibration? To top it all off, my original complaint was hard starting when the bike gets hot. I learned this week much to my chagrin, all my buddies bikes were doing the same thing nearly every time we stopped for gas this past week. I guess what I have been experiencing is vapor lock, and after a quick bump, it releases some of the pressure and she'll start right up, but the dealership, without checking or asking any other questions, just troubleshot the problem from the service desk and charged me the 50.00 deductible to change the comp sprocket. I am really pissed about what seems to be poor service and what makes it worse is I have a prepaid maintenance service plan so I have to continue to bring my bike back. So long and short of it, I had a tire improperly installed that could have killed me had I not known how to handle a flat, a new compensating sprocket I didn't need and a free vibration installed I didn't want. Thanks for allowing me to vent and you comments are greatly appreciated. Going to the dealership tomorrow with paperwork from new tire. Thank god for the tire and wheel protection didn't cost me a thing except my time.

Back