free website stats program 1200 XLC shut down | Harley Davidson Forums

1200 XLC shut down

captain cayos

I went riding the other day on my 1200XLC custom. everything was going great when all of a sudden my bike shut down. all my lights still work but nothing else. No ignition, no starter, nothing. any ideas as to where to start with my diagnoses? the battery is good. Please help

Battery cables need removed, checked , cleaned and refastened. Remember cables have two ends. Let us know what you find.

Welcome to the forum!

Check for voltage at the starter cables and kill switch, Always start at battery first and work out thru each system:s

Thanks guys for the advice. I checked and cleaned my battery leads to the starter and to ground. I ended up changing the 15amp fuses and she wants to start now. (they looked good when I checked them originally) I have a bunch of stuff to put back together now before I really try it (stuff was dirty and needed cleaned anyway) but will get back to you with results. Any idea what would cause fuse to blow?

Probably a short? Maybe a loose wire or contact somewhere...
Also be sure to make sure your battery is hooked up nicely. I had one time where my battery connector would loosen off while riding..

Thanks guys for the advice. I checked and cleaned my battery leads to the starter and to ground. I ended up changing the 15amp fuses and she wants to start now. (they looked good when I checked them originally) I have a bunch of stuff to put back together now before I really try it (stuff was dirty and needed cleaned anyway) but will get back to you with results. Any idea what would cause fuse to blow?

A short in wiring, and or too much draw and resistance in wiring would cause too much heat and could cause a fuse to blow to protect the circuit. Loose connections at the battery will cause the cables to get hotter and cause a bigger drain on the battery JMO

Back