free website stats program 1200 exhaust and intake | Harley Davidson Forums

1200 exhaust and intake

84_Dragula

I've had my nightster sporty for a year now and I've decided it needs some aftermarket mods now. I like the look and sound of drag pipes but I'm not too sure what the performance difference is between the baffled and straight ones if any. Extreme noise is not a factor but performance definately is! I was also planning on getting an intake of some kind for it at the same time so I only gotta get it re-mapped once. Any ideas of which exhaust/ intake to go with for some good performance and sound??

Last edited:
Yeh the straights are definately out! I am liking the V & H short shots so far. I heard a 1200 with them the other day.. nice grumble but yet not too loud. I've heard they do increase performance slightly as well and not to mention, the black ones would look good on the nightster:D

I've got Cycle Shack slip-ons and the HD Heavy Breather Intake with stage 1 ECM, the performance gain was noticable (seat of pants), mileage dropped to ~45 mpg.
I like the sound, others like the sound, and nobody has complained riding behind me in a group.

I put V&H Straightshot slip-ons on my 1200 Sporty, I have yet to add a K&N filter and TFI to finish the package.
The pipes sounded great and I don't expect an improvement in performance until the work is completed.
I found the sound of the slip-ons was a little high pitch and raspy until I installed the quiet baffles, they give a little more back pressure ans soud beautiful.

Let me help you out with this one, For best low end performance a 2 into one is best, but, not very good looking or sounding IMO. second best is a stepped header 2 into 2 design, I went with the best, which is a 3 stepped header design that performs all the way through the rpm range. Bassani pro-streets. other pipes are 2 stepped that don't perform as well. They do have baffles, but you can hardly tell cuz they are loud!, I wouldn't trade'em for anything! also added SE/AC and SERT to complete the package and I am very very happy with my choices.The combo works so well I had to buy a sticky tire. just my experience and opinion.

In my experience, HD or cycle Shack slipons will give you the best sound at the lowest cost. Does Harley make black slip-ons for the Nightster. That would look good with with wrapped headers.

Just my two cents worth - I just put some black Rush slip-ons on my Nightster and the sound is incredible - nice rumble at idle, as well as when I'm shifting thru the gears -plus cheaper than buying a set of V @ H drag pipes that everyone seems to have on their bike anyways.

Just my two cents worth - I just put some black Rush slip-ons on my Nightster and the sound is incredible - nice rumble at idle, as well as when I'm shifting thru the gears -plus cheaper than buying a set of V @ H drag pipes that everyone seems to have on their bike anyways.

I agree everyone does use the V&H, I don't get it....:31:

Back