free website stats program 12 volt battery putting out 25 volts???? | Harley Davidson Forums

12 volt battery putting out 25 volts????

YoDA

I put the battery charger on my HD battery to get it fully charged and after charging the red light on the charger lit up indicating "trouble" (whatever that's supposed to mean). So I disconnected the charger and let it sit for a while--overnight actually--and put my tester on the battery and it's reading 25 volt output. I don't get it, how does a 12v battery put out 25v?? I checked my tester and it's working fine, so it's not a tester issue. Any idea what's going on?

If your meter is set right and reads 25 volts, and not 2.5 volts, don't put it back in the bike, and carefully move it outside away from anyone or thing of importance.
Might even want to put a box over it in case the guts blow out, cause your close to that happening.
I have seen an over charged battery blow and it gets messy.

I think your meter is on the wrong scale, and your battery is 2.5 volts. Did you let it charge on a car charger all night? They charge at too high a rate for mcy. batteries, and burn 'em up.

Check the output of your battery charger itself. No load on it, the charger, and see it puts out more than12.5-13.00 Vdc. Like joel said, take heed & be careful.
tourbox

The charger I was using was a trickle-charger, and I only had it on the bike for about four hours. I checked its output and it's fine. I also double-checked the volt meter and it is operating properly and was set at the right scale. Anyway, something is screwy and I don't want to wreck my bike. I tossed the HD battery and ordered a new Deka brand, I have a Deka in my Ultra and it's a great quality battery and doesn't cost as much as the HD. HD = $129, Deka $88, free shipping. THIS FORUM ROCKS!!!! THANKS GUYS!!

From what I've read Deka makes HD batteries. I have seen their truck @ the local HD dealer here delivering batteries. One thing I would check after installing the new battery is to check your voltage charge at the battery before starting and then while running. I would suspect a bad voltage regulator by your statement
The charger I was using was a trickle-charger, and I only had it on the bike for about four hours. I checked its output and it's fine
tourbox

Back