free website stats program 103cc motors, NG??? | Harley Davidson Forums

103cc motors, NG???

stubbs34

I have talked to 3 riders with the new HD 103 motors and they all had to take their bikes back (one was a Triglide) and have the top ends reworked. Was wondering if Harley Davidson is having problems with the 103 motors? I have a 103cc Triglide but have only 8,000 miles on it and no problem as of yet... Any news of this with anyone else???

I have talked to 3 riders with the new HD 103 motors and they all had to take their bikes back (one was a Triglide) and have the top ends reworked. Was wondering if Harley Davidson is having problems with the 103 motors? I have a 103cc Triglide but have only 8,000 miles on it and no problem as of yet... Any news of this with anyone else???

What is INCLUDED in "top ends reworked" ???

The top end leaves MUCH to my Imagination....

I would NOT think there is a Problem (really doubt it)....More So on how they were broken in and or HOW they Ride them.....

Lot of LUGGING is a BIG problem.. Gotta keep the R's up in them......

signed....BUBBIE

The late model 103's that I have seen run crazy hot in stock trim. I don't own one but if I did, I would do all I can to cool it down. Current models having cats which makes matters worse..
I would think all that heat would be hard on the heads/valves/valve seats.

Collecting more detail info from the 3 guys that needed work would help understand if there is a problem unrelated to heat.

I know that "lugging" is not good for any motor; especially the bigger CC motors.
I try to keep mine above 2,200rpms in every gear. As for the Top end work; all I got from the (coffee conversations) at the local restaurant hangout for retirees in town with bikes was alittle vague but some have put larger Cams and Stage 1 kits in. I have a Oil cooler on mine. One guy has put that on and a head fan on his also. Me personally, have kept mine all original and have had no problems. I only have about 8,000 miles on mine because of the bad weather we have here in Michigan lately. But as far as the 103 motors, I can say that they run very warm and are alot more easy on the legs and stuff during the cooler months of riding. I personally ride until it gets in the 40's and then for me, it's time to put her away until spring time.

I know that "lugging" is not good for any motor; especially the bigger CC motors.
I try to keep mine above 2,200rpms in every gear. As for the Top end work; all I got from the (coffee conversations) at the local restaurant hangout for retirees in town with bikes was alittle vague but some have put larger Cams and Stage 1 kits in. I have a Oil cooler on mine. One guy has put that on and a head fan on his also. Me personally, have kept mine all original and have had no problems. I only have about 8,000 miles on mine because of the bad weather we have here in Michigan lately. But as far as the 103 motors, I can say that they run very warm and are alot more easy on the legs and stuff during the cooler months of riding. I personally ride until it gets in the 40's and then for me, it's time to put her away until spring time.

Good move to Keep above 2200 RPM.. Most Like to hear Potato or is that Potatoe ?:bigsmiley25: Too much low RPM but A Beautiful Sound, ruins these bikes......

Soft flat cruise even I never drop down to 2200 RPM...
I'd Personally try about 2400 least..

You guys have a bigger problem with weight in your bike and my light King @ 800+ is just a Lightweight...:newsmile011:

signed....BUBBIE

One of the easiest ways to cool the motor down is to put on a tuner and set the fuel ration to something around 13.5 to 1 from the factory they are very lean at around 14.6 to 1 you will see a drop in milage. The best part is not only is the engine running cooler but you will get a big jump in Hp and torque.

On my 09 Now 103" w se255 cams, gaterman lifters Ina's gone, heads done by Don at "Dewey's Heads" .030 head gasket, pumping 185# at 4400 feet elevation... I use a gen4 AFR unit from Dobeck Performance.

Setting ANY AFR is easy to do. I run my (want more fuel for cooling) at 13 to 13.5 and my cruise at 14.0 AFR..

I get the best economy = 46 at that setting and never below 42 at worst...

I have goten 50 mi per gal when trying for mileage. I won't run that lean here in Az. but just to try setting at HD's setting of 14.7 I did just that. 50 miles per gallon. Long flat ground 80/90* day, using 5/6 gear. about 50/68 mph....

You are Correct about needing a fueler to Help keep the bikes from Burning up... Modifications to the air and the exhaust make it a MUST... Those that DON'T take a BIG risk of over heating the engine Inners (valves/pistons)...

TWO BIG reasons HD is running LEAN is: Wanting to get good mileage and the EPA Mandates....:newsmile099:

signed....BUBBIE

It's amazing how many people I hear leave a light and are already in 4th gear at 40mph. I shift usually around 3000 normally on flat roads and around 4000+ if I need to stretch my arms a little bit :D

Lugging seems to be more of a problem for riders without a tach since they can't see that the motors only turning X amount of rpms yet to them sounds like they're reving higher than it actually is. I know on my Softail, geared pretty much the same as my E-Glide, highway speeds sounded like it was reving way more than the 3000 rpms or so at 70 mph and a loud exhaust will help in deceiving the ears and makes it seem that the motor is screaming. On the E-Glide, it's right there in plain sight and is sometimes surprising the perceived sound to rpm ratio. I've learned to live and ride in the cams happy zone, 2500-3500:s

Bubbie,
Sounds like you hit it on the nose. I will first try the Tuner and have it set to 13.5 to 1 and go from there. I think down the road and when I get some extra cash; I am going with the True duals, Stage 1 with the Tuner. Thank- you and the rest for the info..

Bubbie,
Sounds like you hit it on the nose. I will first try the Tuner and have it set to 13.5 to 1 and go from there. I think down the road and when I get some extra cash; I am going with the True duals, Stage 1 with the Tuner. Thank- you and the rest for the info..

Just changing the fuel setting will only help slightly without a full tune and the correct type of tuner for your setup. Many piggyback efi systems that are external only change the ecm signal to trick the system into running richer. It doesnt change any other area of the calibration settings with the ecm such as the timing tables and VE tables.

Also adding fuel in areas that are not necessary will reduce the already low fuel mileage a trike gets. So in the long run your will shell out more in gas for what it costs these days. Adding fuel will lower the engine temp slightly at idle but only for the short term unless the timing and VE tables are addressed.

Back