free website stats program 103 upgrade | Harley Davidson Forums

103 upgrade

67wizard

Going to do the 103 upgrade with 255 cams. Should I change the inner cam bearings? If so what is the part number for the Timken bearing, used in a 2010UC. From what I see this is the bearing to use.
Thanks

Going to do the 103 upgrade with 255 cams. Should I change the inner cam bearings? If so what is the part number for the Timken bearing, used in a 2010UC. From what I see this is the bearing to use.
Thanks

I don't have the numbers but Yes change them.... Also I'd like to Recommend to do the Install of Manual pressure relief valves while going to 103..

The MANY i have talked with and have seen the problem first hand with More compression and hot starting Problems will be Avoided..

If you plan to send the heads out, i would Suggest at Least a "Street Port" and install the relief valves By "Deweys Heads" here in Wa. He has a good shop and reputation, does a good job also fair priced..

He will be doing mine that way when I go 103" and I WILL install the manual PRV.

I have the SE255 in my bike now with full stage One , stock 96" with TFI
(a must) and like this set-up for now...

signed....BUBBIE

Go down to your local Harley shop and ask for the Screamin Eagle cam bearings. (Timken)

They cost me all of $18.00 for the pair and are cheap insurance although I dont think there are any problems with the later model stock cam bearings either.

As Bubbie suggested, have your heads machined for manual compression releases while they are off.

I had mine done ($180.00 parts and labour to do both heads) and am glad I did. Every once and a while, I forget to press em down before starting and am reminded as to why that was $180.00 very well spent.

Now that I am used to them, its just part of the regular start up routine.

The 103" kit with the 255 cams is a good combination and pulls real hard down low where most of us ride 99% of the time. The engine continues to pull hard past 5000 rpm but I usually shift long before that.

I was impressed with this 103" combo and its a pretty hard to beat for the buck.

Thanks

Those should be the Torrington B168 roller bearings. Timken bought Torrington. And ABSOLUTELY YES!! Replace those cheap INA bearings.

TQ

I had my install done at the local dealer. Is it true you can get better performance having it tuned elsewhere?

Thanks guys I feel alittle smarter now. Bike goes in just after the Laughlin River Run for the mods.

Are you going to do heads? I did the 103" w/255 cams (no heads) and have never had an issue with hard starting/turn-over, even when hot hot hot. If you go with a higher compression you very well may need compression releases but for what I have experienced you will be wasting $$$ w/ comp releases.

Are you going to do heads? I did the 103" w/255 cams (no heads) and have never had an issue with hard starting/turn-over, even when hot hot hot. If you go with a higher compression you very well may need compression releases but for what I have experienced you will be wasting $$$ w/ comp releases.

Warning here.... It only takes a FEW quick-backs to ruin a starter/compensator on these bikes.. I would not go 103 without PRV....

If you read a lot on Many sites, the mass of opinion is For them.

glenreeder, Not dis-believing you at all, but I have seen first hand, bikes that talk back a lot when they have the same set up as you speak here.

signed....BUBBIE

I had my install done at the local dealer. Is it true you can get better performance having it tuned elsewhere?

If you don't have a Fuel Unit installed in your bike Other Than HD's sert. I'd invest in a TFI or Gen3 and have a bike You can tune and Not need a dyno or tuner tech to do it...

The bike will run Too Lean even after HD does their program tune up..
IF you go with HD's 500 $$ unit and have it dyno tuned by a tech THEN it will or CAN run great.

Much easier and Less$$ to go TFI or Gen3.. read on this forum of the many Happy bikers that use it..

HDT discount when you order thru Dobecks Desk (live) and If your a Military or first responder You'll get a whopper of a discount.

check to see.

signed....BUBBIE

Back