free website stats program 103 stage 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

103 stage 2

Trek

Where to start? I took my 09 ultra to dealer to look at oil in the a/c. The bike only has 6400 miles on it and was broke in like glider said. They called today and said after running tests and such per the Moco they determined the cylinder pistons and rings needed replaced, all under warranty. However, they offered to upgrade to the 103 cylinder piston and rings for less than $50. I asked about cams also. They called back and said they would do the cams also for a total of about $250.00. My understanding is I will be getting a "big bore 103 stage 2". Is that right and would any of you jump on this? I guess my biggest concern is reliability. Is there anything I should be concerned about.

I'm just curious. Other than oil in you air cleaner, how did the bike run? Did it have power? Did it burn oil? Did it start quickly and run all right? When it cranked over, did it sound like you had good compression? Just wondering because you would of had to have a TON of blow-by for them to volunteer to replace the cylinders/ pistons and rings.. and I mean a Ton.

Also,, What brand of oil did you run since it was new? I have to know that...

Just curious, after you get it all done, are you going to do the same break-in procedure?

I'm not sure on that yet, do you have an opinion either way?

I'm just curious. Other than oil in you air cleaner, how did the bike run? Did it have power? Did it burn oil? Did it start quickly and run all right? When it cranked over, did it sound like you had good compression? Just wondering because you would of had to have a TON of blow-by for them to volunteer to replace the cylinders/ pistons and rings.. and I mean a Ton.

Also,, What brand of oil did you run since it was new? I have to know that...
The bike ran great, had plenty of power, didn't burn oil, compression seemed fine, the oil pressure was always good. I am baffled by this also and wonder why they are so eager to jump to replace the pistons and such.
I ran hd 20-50 up until 1000 miles then switched to mobil 1 v twin 20-50 full synthetic.

jump on that deal if that is labor and all cost
I am assuming the cams are 255
just more proof it you have a good claim HD does back warranty

The cams are the 255 and that does include everything including generic sest map for the 103. I had the sest installed when I had the stage 1 done. The only thing is it will cost me another $250 to have a custom map put on after 1000 miles or so of break in.

Where to start? I took my 09 ultra to dealer to look at oil in the a/c. The bike only has 6400 miles on it and was broke in like glider said. They called today and said after running tests and such per the Moco they determined the cylinder pistons and rings needed replaced, all under warranty. However, they offered to upgrade to the 103 cylinder piston and rings for less than $50. I asked about cams also. They called back and said they would do the cams also for a total of about $250.00. My understanding is I will be getting a "big bore 103 stage 2". Is that right and would any of you jump on this? I guess my biggest concern is reliability. Is there anything I should be concerned about.

An 09 with only 6400 miles and the HD shop wants to replace and upgrade??? sniff snifff snifff - somethin smells fishy! (JMO) Did you ask them what happened to cause the need to replace and to put everything on paper?

The bike ran great, had plenty of power, didn't burn oil, compression seemed fine, the oil pressure was always good. I am baffled by this also and wonder why they are so eager to jump to replace the pistons and such.
I ran hd 20-50 up until 1000 miles then switched to mobil 1 v twin 20-50 full synthetic.

The entire picture just does not sound right to me. I would have to see a cylinder leakdown test with my own eyes. Also a compression test with my own eyes. If nothing else, it would tell me how Honest and straight up that dealership was.

If you compression front to rear was within a few pounds, and you read 5% leakage at 80 PSI of cylinder pressure, I would be wondering about that dealership.

Bike runs good and they want to step up to the plate and tear apart my new engine..?? I would be testing it first.

let them do it you'll be happy. they wont stand behind my ordeal. hd tech put a screaming eagle air kit and vance and hines pipes on my sporty. left one bolt loose on the backing plate of the air cleaner. and 6 months later bolt came completely out and got sucked into the front cylinder and poof now i need a new engine. when we tore the motor apart you could see thread imprints onthe head and whats left of the piston! we also found the bolt or whats left of it!!!!

Last edited:
An 09 with only 6400 miles and the HD shop wants to replace and upgrade??? sniff snifff snifff - somethin smells fishy! (JMO) Did you ask them what happened to cause the need to replace and to put everything on paper?

I wish I had quicker access to you guys. I did not think of any of that but when I go to pick it up I will get that done. Why would the moco authorize the replacement? I just wonder if others are having this problem. This is the same dealer that did my stage 1, is there anything they could have done to cause the blow by.

The entire picture just does not sound right to me. I would have to see a cylinder leakdown test with my own eyes. Also a compression test with my own eyes. If nothing else, it would tell me how Honest and straight up that dealership was.

If you compression front to rear was within a few pounds, and you read 5% leakage at 80 PSI of cylinder pressure, I would be wondering about that dealership.

Bike runs good and they want to step up to the plate and tear apart my new engine..?? I would be testing it first.

I already told them to go for it today and he said it will be ready by tomorrow. One thing he did say was they had the 103 in stock and would have to order the 96 so I don't really know if that plays a part in them wanting to do the 103 or not. Is there anything else I should ask about when I pick it up? Thanks everyone for your input.

I talked to the tech today and the bike is done. He said he took for ride and everything is good. I can't pick it up until Saturday aaaaaaaaah. I did ask him if he did compression test and a leak test. He said compression was good. When he did leak test at 100 psi it had 9% leak and was blowing back through the vent tube. That was when Harley said to replace cylinder, rings and piston.

Back