free website stats program 103" in Limited or the 103" Kit in the Ultra Classic | Harley Davidson Forums

103" in Limited or the 103" Kit in the Ultra Classic

Scrounger

Was looking at the limited since I love the colors and the few other add ons to it. The dealer was really pushing a UC on the floor and said the 103" kit from the dealer would be MUCH better than the one from the factory.

Granted the cams are different but I planned to replace them, use a Fule FLow down pipe and a DynoJet Power Commander V to help it out a bit.

I need some advice from the engine folks.

Regards,

Matthew

Matt,

the 2010 Ultra Limited puts out 102 foot pounds of torque in bone stock configuration and I'm not sure if they are running the 255 cams or not; however, I assume they are as the 103 upgrade kit from HD comes w/ the 255's. Anyhow, 102 torque is pretty respectable for a stock bike.

In my opinion, it comes down to how much you like the color, not necessarily the motor because you can get a MUCH stronger motor if you go through an aftermarket company that specializes in building/porting motors. HD does have decent heads but IMO, there are better options out there for less $$.

If I could do it again, I would have bought the stock 96" Ultra and then upgraded to Axtel 107 cylinders/pistons, Cyclerama porting and their CR 575 cams. I probably could have done that upgrade for slightly more $ than I spent on my HD 103 build.

I do love my PCV w/ Autotune, you'll be happy as well.

By the way, I'm no expert but I have built every Harley I've ever owned.

Hobbit is probably the guy you want to talk to. Take his advice over mine.....

The Limited has stock cams, and stock intake, and is tuned for EPA compliance.

In other words, you get a set of $500 pistons and cylinders, and not much else.

The stage 2 103" kit will eat its lunch, especially with pipes and SERT/dyno tune.

I've read several reviews that state the 96" with a stage 1 intake pulls just as hard, if not harder, than the motor in the limited.

I don't think the Limited has stock cams, it probobly has the SE255's. Harley won't tell you what they put in, but on my CVO, once I got my hands on the Parts cataloge for the CVO I found em in there.
The Limited also has a higher compression ratio 9.7:1 as compared to 9.2:1 for the Ultra. I don't know what the SE 103 stage II kit'll get ya but it has the flat top pistons. If your planning on changing the cams anyway, the guys on this site can give you some GREAT advise about which cams to use, I would not consider Harley cams as the only option, look at Andrews, S&S and some of the others.
The best thing to do is get the bike ya like and then fix it for yourself. The Limited is about $4,000 more than the Ultra, you need to decide if it's worth that much more or if you like it that much more. It'll likely cost ya about $1800 to upgrade the motor to a SE 103" Stage II.

I don't think the Limited has stock cams, it probobly has the SE255's. Harley won't tell you what they put in, but on my CVO, once I got my hands on the Parts cataloge for the CVO I found em in there.
The Limited also has a higher compression ratio 9.7:1 as compared to 9.2:1 for the Ultra. I don't know what the SE 103 stage II kit'll get ya but it has the flat top pistons. If your planning on changing the cams anyway, the guys on this site can give you some GREAT advise about which cams to use, I would not consider Harley cams as the only option, look at Andrews, S&S and some of the others.
The best thing to do is get the bike ya like and then fix it for yourself. The Limited is about $4,000 more than the Ultra, you need to decide if it's worth that much more or if you like it that much more. It'll likely cost ya about $1800 to upgrade the motor to a SE 103" Stage II.

I was told by the mechanic who does all the motor upgrades at my dealership that the limited has the same cams that come stock in the 96" motor.

So what is it. 103 stage 2 or 103 stage 1 without stage 1 AC in the Limited? Just curious to know. Now I wonder if the 103 Poilce is a stage 1 or 2 also.

So what is it. 103 stage 2 or 103 stage 1 without stage 1 AC in the Limited? Just curious to know. Now I wonder if the 103 Poilce is a stage 1 or 2 also.

From what I have been told, its a stock bike with 103 jugs instead of 96. Thats all.

In other words, a marketing ploy.

I would go with the dealer installed 103" , I did using the stock heads & using the HD race tuner & a custom dyno I am getting just a little over 107 lb of tourqe . Save money and use the stock heads IMO you do not get a good return ratio of money spent to performance gained by getting different heads .

Hello - I have the new Limited, it comes with 103 cams.
I did a stge 1 - V&H monster duals, SE air breather, Supertuner and then put it on the Dyno - Max HP 70.90 Max Tourque 81.40 - a little disapointing...
Come to find out HD is now putting the Catalytic converter in the header pipe and that is preventing the free flow of exhaust gasses. V&H just came out with a true dual header pipe and I am thinking of putting them on and changing to 255 cams - that should change my Dyno numbers.

Even with the low numbers the bike runs strong and sounds great

From what I have been told, its a stock bike with 103 jugs instead of 96. Thats all.

In other words, a marketing ploy.
Why is the Compression Ratio higher then? I think the factory 103 has gotta have either different Heads or something, I don't think the Stage 1 add on kit will raise the compression. Where's DOLT when ya need him?

Back