free website stats program '10 Limited - Few Questions | Harley Davidson Forums

'10 Limited - Few Questions

scts

We've been looking at the touring bikes for a while now, so I sold the Vulcan we bought for my wife to learn on and she'll move up to the Fatboy and we picked up a new '10 Ultra Limited this weekend (call it a fathers day / anniversary / birthday present.... for the next 5 years :p ). Got the vivid black / black pearl combination, and so far am thrilled with the bike.

Do have a couple of questions for the experts...

Did the 30-60-30 break in on the way home (had 6/7 miles on the bike when I was able to do it), and put a little over 100 miles on Sat / Sun - so I'm ready for that first fluid change... I'm thinking I'd like to keep stand oil (non synth) in and keep it easy on the bike up to 500 and then change out for Mobile 1 synth...

Should I change with the HD 360, or would any other 20/50 oil be fine / better?

Should I go ahead and change out the primary and trans at 100, or wait until the 500 mark for those?

I'd like to do the 500 myself as well (sit in front of a computer all day, like turning the wrench for a change of pace), but was curious if anyone has had any issues with warranty claims if they didn't use the dealership for that "first" change and inspection (I'm impressed with the dealership here, they treated us very well, waived their processing / setup fees and dropped a little below MSRP on the price - will call them and ask the same question, but wanted to get a clue from others to know what to expect)?

Thanks,
Scott

You can change to synthetic any time, even at the 100 mile mark. You can also let the others go till 500 with no problems.

Keep the receipts for the oil etc that you buy and it shouldn't effect the warranty. The dealers are the ones that give you problems with anything more than the MOCO.

You really don't have to do anything until 1000 miles. I switched to Royal Purple at 1000 miles and all is good. You will love the bike too.

I recently bought the limited and love it. Did exactly as Glider mentioned and then changed engine oil at about 150 or so myself. Engine oil a little trickier (oil drips)than on the RK due to the oil cooler. Used Mobile 1. At 1,000 or so I let dealer do the factory recommended service. A little pricey but builds a rapport w/ the troops. Now there's a permanent record of my recommended service w/ the MOCO, cheap insurance, hopefully less headache down the road should a problem develop. I do my own in between changes. The service tech recommended Amsoil severe trans fluid and man, is that stuff great. Shifts smooth as silk, no more problem finding neutral. Got 3K on it aleady. The RK cries every time I fire up the limited for a long ride. Still love rhe RK for short trips and cruizin'
WAP.gif

Thanks guys

Keep the receipts for the oil etc that you buy and it shouldn't effect the warranty. The dealers are the ones that give you problems with anything more than the MOCO.

Called the service dept today and actually got the exact same answer from them :) , although they did encourage me to use HD products. Should be doing that first service tonight or tomorrow night.

Thanks guys

Called the service dept today and actually got the exact same answer from them :) , although they did encourage me to use HD products. Should be doing that first service tonight or tomorrow night.

what "life's blood" did you decide on for your scoot?

what "life's blood" did you decide on for your scoot?

Going with the Mobile 1 Synth for the oil (been happy with the Mobile 1 products and it's been easy to get around here), Spectro 6 for trans, and stick with the Formula+ for the Primary... Going to do the oil tomorrow night (just got back from a work trip tonight - would have had to sleep in the garage had I tried to do it tonight) and the rest closer to the 1K change.

Quick pic of the new bike from the parking lot:

Max size for posting pics is 800 X 600. Oversize pics will be removed.

Feel free to repost in the proper size.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back