free website stats program 10% ethenol gas | Harley Davidson Forums

10% ethenol gas

kemo

R.I.P
Just got back from a nice 3500 mile ride out to Winnipeg Manitoba and then down to Sturgis S.D. In a lot of the mid west states could only get 10% ethenol fuel. It is crap. Fuel mileage dove down about 5 mpg. I sure hope that all this corn gas is just a fade and not going to stay.

One serious problem is the fact that gas stations are not required to lable gas that is 10% or less ethenol because it is deemed safe for all vehicles. For high compression air cooled engines this is somewhat a problem because the BTU potential is much less for ethenol than it is for dino gas so the injectors are overworked and can create a lean running condition under hard accelleration.

In a lot of the mid west states could only get 10% ethenol fuel. It is crap. I sure hope that all this corn gas is just a fade and not going to stay.

This is about all we are now seeing in North Florida too.

Living and working in the Tampa Bay area 10% is all I have found. Any truth to the Shell V-Power being the best premium to run?

sgsam

if what i'm told is true shell,bp and sunnoco dont blend there high grade gas so thats what ive been useing ..my bike runs fine on either one ..but if i use any marathon or speedway gas my mileage does drop alittle but the bike still runs fine ....ive also been useing the lucas fuel treatment just for the simple fact of have some upper cyclinder lube in the mix its also good for keeping things clean
keith

Well, my wife, 70 lbs of gear, and I went 4789 miles door to door from Oceanside, CA to Sturgis, SD and back. We averaged 44.45 miles per gallon of fuel (hot-rodded 103 cid). I put premium from whatever gas station was convenient. All 91 octane except for a Cheyenne, WY station that had 92. What a great trip, we hit eleven states. The ride there and back was some of the best times I have ever had.

Almost forgot:
Oops-did run out of gas three miles short of Gillette, WY (yes, that was me pushing and my wife sitting on the bike navigating.)

Last edited:
Almost forgot:
Oops-did run out of gas three miles short of Gillette, WY (yes, that was me pushing and my wife sitting on the bike navigating.)

lol ---- And was the wife also hollerin' ---- "come on mule giddy-up,yaaa,wwwhhooooppp, let's get on down the road" ha-ha!!!

Back