free website stats program '10 CVO Street Glide Screming Eagle - Engine Tappets | Harley Davidson Forums

'10 CVO Street Glide Screming Eagle - Engine Tappets

CVOMAN

Hello,

My new bike has 500 miles on it and I have had a loud tappet sound (valves) occurring most noisily between 2100 and 2300 RPM.

I finally got tired of this ball ping hammer symphony so I went to a local dealer. They said leave the bike and we'll begin to tear down the engine to find the noise.

A second dealer said the same thing, neither had test ridden the bike.

Finally a third dealer said that they have seen (heard) this with other new Screaming Eagle 100 motors. They claim the problem is that the new bilkes use Harley s Synthetic 3 motor oil. They said the engine is fine, just to change all oils to a non synthetic thicker oil and the sound will go away.

Okay I am skeptical but I remember reading another post where they used a heavier weight oil in the trans and it helped.

Where can I turn for advise, any comments out there???

Do the simple but correct thing like Glider says. Buy your own lubes and have that 3rd dealer put 'em in. That way you are covered, cause if it is trully "tappet noise" it could be something, but the 3rd dealer will have a record and seems to be the one you selected as at least recognizing your concerns.

I have a 09 CVO and had the same problem and did exacitily what Gllider and NewHD74 told you to do, I switched to Redline Syn and had the dealer change the lube, lucky for me my dealer has Redline as an option. The Tappet noise went away with the Redline in the crankcase, also just for your info put Redline in the Tranny and Primary the shift clunk'll go away too..

I would first check that the valve covers are for the 110. A friend of mine had a tapping in his and the dealer called Harley and they told them to measure the chorme valve covers. They were for a stock 96 incher. Which is shorter than the stockers. The CVO covers were put on and the tappng was gone. Fossi

Dosen't a loose/poorly adjusted primary chain sound like loose tappets or valvetrain issues?

Have you performed the method of adjustment as outlined in the tip "Automatic Chain Tensioner Adjustment?
Just a thought.

With only five hundred miles on it,I would have the third dealer change the oil.Then if the noise is still there,you and that dealer can make a decision to go into the motor.

My 2010 Ultra had the same noise and it turned out to be the automatic tensioner, Also have a buddy with an 09 ultra and his noise also turned out to be the tensioner.

My 2007 ultra never had any problems with the tensioner, Does anyone know what the differance is between the 2007 and 2009 and 20010 tensioner? I have been reading many posts about this noise lately and wonder whats up?

Back