free website stats program 1 Qt. really? | Harley Davidson Forums

1 Qt. really?

injunwil

the guys at the shop are telling me my 2005 Sportster 1200 Custom only requires one quart of transmission/primary lube. is this correct? i ask because, after i put one qt. in, let it run, turn it off, and let it settle, i can take the little cover off, stick my finger in it as far down as i can reach and not feel ANY oil at all. is this normal? also, how do you know if it leaks out? there's no way to check it, at all?

thanks

the guys at the shop are telling me my 2005 Sportster 1200 Custom only requires one quart of transmission/primary lube. is this correct? i ask because, after i put one qt. in, let it run, turn it off, and let it settle, i can take the little cover off, stick my finger in it as far down as i can reach and not feel ANY oil at all. is this normal? also, how do you know if it leaks out? there's no way to check it, at all?

thanks

ASKING is Fine,,,,, As you see you get The Answers...

TOTALLY NOT THE WAY TO CHECK THE LEVEL.(.)

May I suggest to get a BOOK (HD Manual) on the sporty....Look on E-bay or other to find the ORIGINAL Owners Guide that came with the bike,,,,, I assume You Don't have one or you wouldn't be asking this question.... The Guide that came with your bike NEW would answer and allow you to CARE for the bike.. The HD BIG Manual book shows all about your model and Year sporty and HOW and NOT how to do things.. IT Is Worth the $$ to own one..

Both books would OF told you the amount and Type of Lube to use... On a sportster, The PRIMARY(clutch and tripple chain) and TRANNY are using a COMMON SHARED lubrication....
USUALLY Formal + from hd and YES 1 QT.

Books will tell you HOW and Where to look to see the Level of the oil in there...

IF BIKE DOESN'T LEAK ANY Tranny OIL,,,, Usually then,,, it only needs to be changed AT THE Suggested MILES/TIMES intervals Located in HD BOOK ...... Proper amount (1 Qt.) is all that is needed...

Get to KNOW your bike a little and you'll gain Much Knowledge JUST readiing Here on HDT.... BUT You gotta LEARN in my book,,,, FROM the book....

signed....BUBBIE :D

If you take off the clutch adjustment cover (derby cover) then shine a torch in you should be able to see the oil just touching the bottom of the clutch

Brian

If you take off the clutch adjustment cover (derby cover) then shine a torch in you should be able to see the oil just touching the bottom of the clutch

Brian

REMEMBER,,,, Brian is from Scotland,,,, BY TORCH,,, I think he means Flashlight... NO Flames...

HAhahahahahahahaha:newsmile100:

signed....BUBBIE

REMEMBER,,,, Brian is from Scotland,,,, BY TORCH,,, I think he means Flashlight... NO Flames...

HAhahahahahahahaha:newsmile100:

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks Bubbie for keeping me right flashlight would be a fair description of what i was referring to :p

Brian

Hey, Brian you could use a torch, might light things up a bit. I think Bubbie would rather the flames for the BBQ. Could be he is getting ready to devy out some Pork Chop awards for job well done. I would think you earned a couple there...:s

Mz Bling had her 50,000 mile service done 2 weeks ago. We took Spectro heavy duty primary oil in. We took an unopened qt plus an opened bottle just in case. The wrencher said he added about 6 ounces more than the recommended 32 because the sharing of the tranny, etc. Recently she has noticed when only in 5th gear giving it gas she gets higher rev and than bike catches up which sounds like clutch slipping. She had the clutch rebuilt at 23,000 miles because of this but in all gears. There is another post of guys sporty's slipping only in 5th which the clutch plates were starting to go and caught it in time .Question:Would the extra oil cause the slipping only in 5th or would the slipping be happening in all the gears?
Thanks,
Craig

38 Oz's would be correct for a 4 speed sportster but the last of them was made in 1992 the 5 speed sportster takes 32 Oz's
having extra oil in the primary/gearbox could result in a slipping clutch under high load conditions
If it were me i would set the bike upright and remove the derby cover and remove the excess oil using a large syringe and some plastic pipe stuck on the end of it
then try the bike again it may take a wee while for the excess oil to be thrown off the plates
However you may need to strip clutch and clean the plates but i think with the modern materials being used for clutch plates reducing the oil level and getting the bike nice and hot should get it all back to where it should be

Brian

Back