free website stats program 09 ultra classic Lowering | Harley Davidson Forums

09 ultra classic Lowering

Midwest

I have an 09 ultra and i want to lower it about 1" is it better to lower it or get a seat to do the same thing? Thanks for the advice in advance

I have an 09 ultra and i want to lower it about 1" is it better to lower it or get a seat to do the same thing? Thanks for the advice in advance

Try a lower seat and thicker soled boots. Never liked lowering a bike, They do not ride right Ask me how I know:s

I lowered my 09 Ultra Using the factory kits front and back and after making two south Florida to Sturgis runs have decided to "unlower" it and get a seat that will lower me instead. My discontent is that I keep bottoming out over any kind of bump when riding two up with luggage.
WAP.gif

I installed lowering blocks, had my seat trimmed and gel pad added and bought thick soled boots. Liked it for a while but like Merlynn I have issues when riding two up. I removed the lowering blocks and while I am not as flat footed, I have more experience with the bike and so more comfortable. The bike just felt different lowered. I am not sure I can say it felt unstable in turns but I am close to it.

The shock angle is changed and that is not how the bike is engineered so I will leave them off and enjoy the smoother, more solid feeling ride.

Maybe see if you can get someone to trade a set of FLHX shocks, or have Mean City Cycles mod your seat. I believe MCC can lower you 1" w/their mod, but you might want to call & check...this would be fairly cheap.

I have an 09 ultra with street glide shocks, progressive springs w/ricor up front, and the "low" stock seat ('10 and later), I don't bottom out with a passenger and the bike loaded up, its a harsher ride, but the security of putting my feet down is worth it, and I drive the bike through the streets of nyc, not the kindest of roads, I am 5'7.5" w/ 30" inseam btw.

I purchased an 03' Electra Glide Classic last Oct. and did not feel comfortable on it ( 30" In Seam ) Within a week after taking delivery of this bike I installed the Progressive Rear Shocks along with the Progressive Front End which lowered the bike 1" Front and Back. I also installed the Progressive Touring Link. After installation I was totally amazed at the difference in the way this bike handled. It is like the difference in driving a 53' Plymouth Cranbrook and a 2011 Vette. Color me Happy, Happy, Happy !!!!!!!

Back