free website stats program '09 Tranny lube level | Harley Davidson Forums

'09 Tranny lube level

ccraig

Hi, I've tried this on a couple of other forums.

This is a 2009 ultra classic.

When I switched to Redline tranny lube I removed 1 quart (32oz) of old fluid. I put 1 quart of redline in. According to the manual you have the bike on the kick stand remove the dip stick, wipe clean reinsert it without screwing it in. The level should be between the full and add mark.

With my bike, the level doesn't even show on the dip stick. If I screw it all the way in it will register between the end of the stick and the add mark.

Something is wrong here, either the dip stick is to short or the specified level (32 oz) is not enough or the tranny should be checked with the bike upright (like a 5 speed EVO) or the level should be checked with the tranny hot.
Anyone have any insight to this?

Craig

Craig, I have had the same issue. If I drain the trans. oil while on the kick stand I get 32oz. out if it. If I drain it with the bike on a lift that keeps the bike level I have to add 38oz. (Just some food for thought)

Craig I have always found 32oz to be the correct amount, It is checked on the side stand, touching the sticks threads to the hole, do not screw it in, Allowing a short period of time to equalize lubricant level in the transmission compartments could be the factor here, the red line might take longer to equalize between compartments then say forumla+. I would take it for a ride to warm it up a little, then allow a short period of time on the side stand before checking. The level will not change like engine oil because the trans does not get that hot, but thinning the thick trans fluid will allow it to equalize in a shorter time period. Just my personal opinion. You can compare dip stick length with another 6 speed but a trans case is a trans case, 32 oz should do it.

If I recall, the owners manual says the amount for the trans is 38oz. I can only get that much out if I put the bike on a lift to drain. (I will leave it a that).

38 oz. in the primary per the manual. However it also says the fluid has to touch the bottom of the clutch basket. It will be about 1/16" up the clutch basket with 1 qt. (36 oz) but because the manual says 38 and the guys on this Forum say 38 oz. that's what I put in. You really can't tell by the naked eye the level rise from 36 oz to 38 oz.

As for the tranny, I add 1 qt. I also use Redline and you have to drain that after a good hard ride when it's nice and hot. Don't burn yourself. The stuff is like glue at room temperature. So, if you don't get it nice and hot (less viscous), after a bunch of oil changes, you may have too much oil in there. I check mine on the level cold and hot and it hits both marks like it's supposed to. Tranny shifts like a dream (not clunky when new with the HD oil in there) and I don't hear any whine in 5th gear (except in that other thread - did someone step on some grapes?).

Jeepers Wally, No, I'm not on drugs, there's 32 oz in a qt. Foe a minute, I thought I was in Canada. Forget everything I said above except "don't burn yourself". Good thing it's late, you guys on the east coast won't see this until tomorrow!

Anyway, I use a qt and then some (Formula +) in the primary and one qt Redline in the tranny...

Last edited by a moderator:
Several have mentioned getting more transmission fluid to drain if the bike is level instead of on the side stand. If you look at where the drain plug is this makes perfect sense. With the bike on the side stand, there will be a small section of the case that can't drain due to a combination of geometry and physics and this accounts for the 6 ounces or so difference you're seeing. I actually drain the transmission on the side stand until there's just a trickle and then sit on the bike and tilt it several degrees to the right, away from the side stand, and hold it there for several minutes to drain this last bit of fluid.

Now, this all pertains to the draining of the fluid. When it comes to checking it, do it exactly as the manual says. As Chopper said, don't fret too much about the level immediately after the change. Take it for a short ride to get it in all the nooks and crannies and all thinned out and then check it again.

I also use Redline and you have to drain that after a good hard ride when it's nice and hot. Don't burn yourself. The stuff is like glue at room temperature.

I don't use RL, but have seen and heard how this stuff is like glue at room temp. It sticks to everything. I'd agree, drain (I do it like Doc), put in a qrt, go for a nice ride, , let it equalize a little, then check and adjust as needed.

In my 09 using Spectro, a qrt fills it perfectly.

Ride safe and have fun.

Craig, I have had the same issue. If I drain the trans. oil while on the kick stand I get 32oz. out if it. If I drain it with the bike on a lift that keeps the bike level I have to add 38oz. (Just some food for thought)

Hmmm. Now my tranny info says 20-24 oz. I usually put in 22. But I have an SE 6-spd which is the 6-spd gear set in the old box. That definitely is supposed to be checked hot and up-right.

TQ

Back