free website stats program 09 Street Glide Noise - HELP - Clutch Chatter maybe? | Harley Davidson Forums

09 Street Glide Noise - HELP - Clutch Chatter maybe?

dan9460

from reading forums I think its a compensator problem, but would like to be sure to know I am headed in right direction

Noise initially started when warm/hot at 300 miles - really noisy thought it was valve train noise, but found that when I pull clutch lever in at stop, most of the noise goes away. It was really noisy with break in oil, but when changed to synthetic it seemed to cut the noise somewhat

maybe separate issue but between 2800 and 3500 rmp I hear a noise like a tin can full of bolts being shaken horribly annoying

2800 rmp noise has increased as the bike has more miles on it now up to 2500 miles

bike has stage one kit - heavy breather, monster ovals...

According to owner of HD shop - HD is aware of problem but the issue hasnt found a fix or isn't trying - have been pushing dealer for solution since May but no luck

I plan to add the Screaming Eagle Compensator P/N 40274-08 and Clutch hub (37976-08), but am not sure if I should go to performance Race Clutch Hub Kit 37976-08 because of the heavier pressure for clutch lever

You need to get this done right away. As the compensator nut continues to back out, it lets the rotor wobble around. This may be the "nuts & bolts" sound you are hearing, but that might be the chain tensioner not working correctly. Anyway, with the rotor wobbling, contact between the magnets and the stator coils is almost certainly guaranteed. That becomes a mess. So have them pull the primary cover and check the compensator nut. Ask them about the upgrade of the spacer washer as Hobbit pointed out. Just "git 'er done"!!

TQ

Back