free website stats program '09 Softail Deluxe Oil Change. | Harley Davidson Forums

'09 Softail Deluxe Oil Change.

Randall K. Wilson

When my machine had 1,200 miles I had the first service and the dealer put HD sythetic oil in it. Now I have 4,175 and I changed it today myself. I focused on the engine. I went right by the whiz bang by golly HD service manual. The thick one the size of a phone book.

Using the "wet" refill method and a new filter I poured 3 1/2 quarts of Red Line Synthetic 20W50 in the filler hole.

Looking at this site I noticed (after the fact) a discussion of using a method to rid the engine "oil galleries" of dirty oil. Since I did not use this method am I a mechanical boob? Another thing. I am going to recheck it tomorrow, but it looks to me that the level of oil on the dip-stick is way over what it should be.

Any thoughts or comments on my service program? Please respond.

RKW

Trying to get out all the "dirty" oil is more effort then it's worth. If you have checked the level after running the engine till operating temp. and it's over the full mark you will have to drain some out.

Trying to get out all the "dirty" oil is more effort then it's worth. If you have checked the level after running the engine till operating temp. and it's over the full mark you will have to drain some out.

GGGGGRRRRRRR:swoon

Oh, thanks for the help.

I bought a glass Turkey baster to suck excess oil from the oil tank on my bike.

It may be a slower method,but it's a lot more accurate.And you don't get to the point of "Whoops,i've drained too much!"

Did you get the bike to opperating temps. before you drained the old oil out? If not there may have been to much left behind. When I change my oil I always follow a great tip of Smitty's and measure the amount that is drained and replace with the same amount.

Don't overfill the oil tank (hot level). I did one time and oil started coming out the air filter breather tubes.

Did you get the bike to opperating temps. before you drained the old oil out? If not there may have been to much left behind. When I change my oil I always follow a great tip of Smitty's and measure the amount that is drained and replace with the same amount.

Yes it was hot. To hot to touch the oil filter.
Smitty has always been a wise ole owl.:)

I bought a glass Turkey baster to suck excess oil from the oil tank on my bike.

It may be a slower method,but it's a lot more accurate.And you don't get to the point of "Whoops,i've drained too much!"

The glass turkey baster may just mysteriously disappear from my wife's kitchen drawer today.:bigsmiley10: I have until Thanksgiving to replace it!:D

I have always used a bit less than what The Bible says when changing oil, dont want that mess puking out the AC:s

I agree I don't want any puking so I use less than full spec(about 1/2 way on the stick when hot).For my bike a full change with filter is 2.4 l. YMMV

Back